AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be modifying my PC to serve as an HTPC. The only issue I need to work out is the sound card.

I have a dolby digital receiver already. I was thinking that if I could just get a card to pass through the encoded digital signal from my computer, by optical cables into the receiver, and let the receiver do the decoding, that would do just fine for sound. Is there any such card that will just allow me to pass the signal on?

My other option would be for a sound card which will decode the signal. Wouldn't that signal need to be amplified before going to speaker? Running 4 sattelite speakes is one thing, but not the speakers I have. If so, then it will be running through my receiver by optical cables anyway, so it looks redundant.

Any advice on how to set this up?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would go with philips dynamic edge(4.1). You can get it at $30.00 at best buy, and it does coax digital out. Sounds excellent

You can read a long thread about it, a few weeks ago. search for dynamic edge.

Ken

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Just about any soundcard with optical and/or coax output should pass the dolby digital for you just fine (assuming you don't care about pristine audio quality).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll give the suggested card a try.

Thorr, I'd like good quality, but probably can't afford ultra high quality. My receiver is a Sony 64 bit, probably considered on the low end if you were to walk into a store like Tweeders, but still decent for the money. Sounds like I'll be better passing the signal on than trying to invest big bucks on a better card.

As long as the card passes on the digital signal without degradation it should be fine.

·
Registered
936 Posts
With the Philips 5.1 soundcards, can you assign the various outputs separately? Specifically, if I'm using two audio programs simultaneously, can I configure each to use different outputs? I think this might be possible with the Turtle Beach "Santa Cruz" card which has a programmable SPDIF/headphones jack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.