AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I currently just bought a H/K avr 3600 to go with my eD 5.1 system and ad ath-a900 headphones.

My pc specs are as follows:

i5 2500k

MSI p67a-G45

amd 6850

xonar d2x

I was wondering if i should use the hdmi out on my vid card to the reciever for sound and bypass my asus xonar d2x, Im not sure my xonar is necessary anymore and I would much rather sell it and my 6850 to move to dual 6950's. Is the processing better on the 3600 then the xonar? Will i lose anything for gaming/movies or heaphone quality. I really feel like my sound card is now obsolete but will losing ddlive on my sound card be worse for gaming then using hdmi to amp for sound, does the hdmi output 5.1 from pc games?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra /forum/post/20895616


Hi I currently just bought a H/K avr 3600 to go with my eD 5.1 system and ad ath-a900 headphones.

My pc specs are as follows:

i5 2500k

MSI p67a-G45

amd 6850

xonar d2x

I was wondering if i should use the hdmi out on my vid card to the reciever for sound and bypass my asus xonar d2x, Im not sure my xonar is necessary anymore and I would much rather sell it and my 6850 to move to dual 6950's. Is the processing better on the 3600 then the xonar? Will i lose anything for gaming/movies or heaphone quality. I really feel like my sound card is now obsolete but will losing ddlive on my sound card be worse for gaming then using hdmi to amp for sound, does the hdmi output 5.1 from pc games?

Pretty much yes, you can toss the Xonar



Btw, the only thing is, if you toss the Xonar you'd have to start plugging your headphones into the AVR (since you won't have analog out anymore). This is fine of course since you'll be getting better headphone analog sound out of the avr than from the Xonar anyway (with the exception of any headphone processing you might have done in software).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco /forum/post/20895676


Pretty much yes, you can toss the Xonar



Btw, the only thing is, if you toss the Xonar you'd have to start plugging your headphones into the AVR (since you won't have analog out anymore). This is fine of course since you'll be getting better headphone analog sound out of the avr than from the Xonar anyway (with the exception of any headphone processing you might have done in software).

Thanks dont really use heaphone processing anyway, I wont be losing any sq with gaming? Thats really the only thing that concerns me as that is mostly what i do with my system. I read on amd that the hdmi out supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats, will it still do regular dobly digital and dts, plus whatever the games use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra /forum/post/20895781


Thanks dont really use heaphone processing anyway, I wont be losing any sq with gaming? Thats really the only thing that concerns me as that is mostly what i do with my system. I read on amd that the hdmi out supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats, will it still do regular dobly digital and dts, plus whatever the games use?

You won't lose anything gaming. The only possible loss would be if the Xonar supported EAX and you were playing games that used it for effects (unlikely as most new PC games don't).


I moved away from a dedicated sound card about 2 years ago and have been running HDMI out for everything on my HTPC/gaming rig since then. I'm also using ATI (2 5870s) out to a Denon A100 avr. Sounds great.


Games will simply output at whatever speaker configuration you have Windows set at (5.1 in your case or even 7.1 if you add additional speakers).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco /forum/post/20895823


You won't lose anything gaming. The only possible loss would be if the Xonar supported EAX and you were playing games that used it for effects (unlikely as most new PC games don't).


I moved away from a dedicated sound card about 2 years ago and have been running HDMI out for everything on my HTPC/gaming rig since then. I'm also using ATI (2 5870s) out to a Denon A100 avr. Sounds great.


Games will simply output at whatever speaker configuration you have Windows set at (5.1 in your case or even 7.1 if you add additional speakers).

Thats really all I needed to hear, thanks alot headed to the classifieds....
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top