Discussion Starter #1
OK, heres the deal. I'm waiting a little while longer to

upgrade my pc,in which case I will then make my current

rig my HTPC.

Anyway, in the meanwhile I'd like to use my current PC for

the job, just bring it downstairs and hook it up to my

Sampo for the right occasion. Problem is I'd like DD or DTS,

and I'm not sure the right way to go about it. I have a SB

live, not the 5.1 business, just the Xgamer one.

What would be the easiest and most cost effective way to do

this. Does this card already pass through AC-3? Should I

just buy another card that automatically outputs either

straight to coax or optical, or get some kind of converter

for my card?

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
239 Posts
If the card has a digital out jack, you're set for S/PDIF output. Can't be definite on if your card has it, as many different OEM versions have different flavors.

------------------

Drake

--------------

"The world is not upside-down, but inside-out".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have digital out, so what now?

Is there something that coverts it to coax or optical digital so I can connect it to my receiver?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The digital out can then be used directly to your DD receiver's (1/8" stereo mini plug to L/R RCA.

NOTE: The SB Live! cards have been reported to have a nonstandard (higher) SPDIF voltage. This can potentially damage your receiver (haven't seen many posts on actual Damage).

------------------

Sony 1271

ASUS A7V133 (Bios 1004, 4in1 4.24.2)

AMD 850 TBird

128 mB PC133

Radeon LE (7075)

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
L/R? rca?

The digital out on the sound card is that little mini plug, which would have to go into an optical in, or coax digital in. I'm not sure what you're talking about. All I want to do is be able to get DD or DTS.

Is this cable readily available?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi Ian,

I have a SB Live Value OEM with the little phone socket for SP/DIF (digital) output.

All you need to be able to plug this into your DD receiver is a cheap mono phone plug to RCA socket adapter from your nearest electronics shop (50 cents ?).

Then use a standard RCA to RCA coax lead from the RCA adapter to the digital in RCA on your receiver.

This is what I use to connect my SB Live Value OEM card to my Denon AVC-3800 DD Amplifier.

Regards

Greg

[This message has been edited by KoolKiwi (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, but would I then need to use a "special" digital coaxial cord from the socket adapter to the receiver?

I would think that not just any one would do, right?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Any regular RCA cable will work between the adaptor and the receiver, but as Strat says...

The SB Live! cards have been reported to have a nonstandard (higher) SPDIF voltage. This can potentially damage your receiver (haven't seen many posts on actual Damage).

Mike.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
The old Live! card will probably not damage your receiver, but it certainly could. Your receiver probably has an isolation transformer on it, but theres no guarantee.

If you're worried, you could add the Optical Digital I/O board, or a Live! Drive IR.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€The old Live! card will probably not damage your receiver, but it certainly could. Your receiver probably has an isolation transformer on it, but theres no guarantee.â€

Alex,

S/PDIF line receiver circuits with isolation transformers are use for professional applications only (AES/EBU). Consumer receivers have a simple 75-ohm impedance matching resistor and a coupling capacitor to block DC offset.

Good consumer products use isolation transformers at the source.

------------------

Best Regards, Cliff

Digital Connection, LLC

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Thank cliff. I would't chance it anyway

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Viking2000:

___The 2-pin misnamed S/PDIF output prongs on CD/DVD-ROM drives do not pass an S/PDIF signal but a Redbook (2-channel) digital audio signal. DD/DTS streams are passed over the PCI bus so no amount of special connectors will get you what you need off that connection. In fact, do not hook that connector up to anything as it has caused many HTPC’ers in the past all kinds of sound problems.

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.