AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi!

Is there any difference between the dolby digital, dts decoder of a sound card and the decoder of a receiver?

I have a sound blaster x-fi titanium hd sound card, and it has dolby digital and dts decoder. My sound system is logitech z906 which also has built in dolby digital and dts decoder. These are connected via toslink cable, and sound card sends the signals to z906 directly via s/pdif passthrough. In this setup, do I need this sound card which is $170? Asus xonar dg is a much cheaper ($28) card, and it can also passthrough dolby digital and dts. So, in this setup, should I sell the x-fi titanium hd and get a xonar dg to make a little money? ...or does x-fi titanium hd have anything to add to this equation?

Thank you!

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Pretty much the same yeah, but PC soundcard could offer more on the bass management and delay side. As for changing soundcard I suppose, but you want to make sure the soundcard supports Dolby Digital encoding, for gaming etc- otherwise you'll just get stereo.

I use a Asus Xonair DX for the gaming rig

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The only reason to get the xonar is the Dolby or dts encoders so you can send 5.1 to your speakers through the optical link for surround sound gaming and the like.

The only reason for the sound blaster is if you have the 5.1 analog connections (multi-channel input) to your receiver.

Of course, if you don't care about surround sound while gaming , any sound card with digital output works fine as they all will support pass through of Dolby digital and dts. Even the one built into most motherboards these days.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alperciz  /t/1525284/sound-card-dolby-dts-decoder-vs-receiver-decoder-decoder#post_24554488

Hi!Is there any difference between the dolby digital, dts decoder of a sound card and the decoder of a receiver?

In general an AVR will support more different audio formats. This seems to stand out if you compare the format support from the manufacturer web sites. The programming for decoding those formats has been through a few recent changes and the people like me who have relatively new AVRs that are web connected are easy enough to update, or updated themselves. I don't know what the audio interface vendors are offering their existing clients along these lines.

I don't know of any PC audio interfaces that have automatic system optimization facilities such as Audyssey, MCACC or YPAO. Just about every mainstream AVR has one of them, and the more expensive AVRs claimt o do more comprehensive optimizing We're getting a lot of good reports and a few critical reports from people who are using them. the bass management on most AVRs seems to be very refined and adaptable.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
" the bass management on most AVRs seems to be very refined and adaptable."

BM on budget models is pretty limited. I can't select individual speaker crossover per speaker, nor can I select a subwoofer crossover. Just small/large, with jumps of 20hz for system wide crossover (Yamaha 671) It's pretty limited compared to Lexicon.

Pretty sure PC BM is quite advanced, if you delve deeply enough. ffdshow has some features av amp doesn't have

1 - 6 of 6 Posts