AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi!

Is there any difference between the dolby digital, dts decoder of a sound card and the decoder of a receiver?

I have a sound blaster x-fi titanium hd sound card, and it has dolby digital and dts decoder. My sound system is logitech z906 which also has built in dolby digital and dts decoder. These are connected via toslink cable, and sound card sends the signals to z906 directly via s/pdif passthrough. In this setup, do I need this sound card which is $170? Asus xonar dg is a much cheaper ($28) card, and it can also passthrough dolby digital and dts. So, in this setup, should I sell the x-fi titanium hd and get a xonar dg to make a little money? ...or does x-fi titanium hd have anything to add to this equation?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
It looks like that system has digital inputs, which means it has it's own DAC. A sound card will probably have a better DAC but you won't be able to tell the difference with that system. In this scenario, a sound card is useless, just run an optical or digital coax from your computer's motherboard to the Logitech system.

Reactions: alperciz

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
I agree that with those low sound quality speakers you will not be able to hear the difference. If you had a decent setup of better speakers and a receiver, then it might make a small difference.

I don't know much about computer based audio setups. I have always stuck to BluRay players as I am not sure if you can get BluRay quality audio & video out of a computer based setup.

Hmm..while we are on that subject, can anyone tell me how to get BluRay quality playback from a PC?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1525286/sound-card-dolby-dts-decoder-vs-receiver-decoder-decoder#post_24554808

I agree that with those low sound quality speakers you will not be able to hear the difference. If you had a decent setup of better speakers and a receiver, then it might make a small difference.

I don't know much about computer based audio setups. I have always stuck to BluRay players as I am not sure if you can get BluRay quality audio & video out of a computer based setup.

Hmm..while we are on that subject, can anyone tell me how to get BluRay quality playback from a PC?

You need software to play Blu-Rays on a PC, like CyberpowerDVD. Just about every GPU these days will pass audio over HDMI.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1525286/sound-card-dolby-dts-decoder-vs-receiver-decoder-decoder#post_24554819

You need software to play Blu-Rays on a PC, like CyberpowerDVD. Just about every GPU these days will pass audio over HDMI.

Thanks! I have never understood the appeal or possible benefits to using an HTPC. Although , I must admit that I know very little about them. The only computer-audio type stuff that interest me would be the J-River stuff.

Speaking of J-River, would that be a good software program to use for BluRay quality movies? What hardware would be required to use J-River and have it to be your source for movies and music?

I am also starting to get interested in the higher quality music downloads from HDTracks.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
J-River will manage your library, but you still need a program to read the disc. They suggest AnyDVD HD. As far as hardware goes, just about anything will handle 1080P playback. An Intel Pentium with integrated graphics will do fine, this lets you build a compact, low power system.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I have a HTPC, for video playback much better than a media player, or BD player. I was getting sick of media player refusing to play the files, either due to video codec, sub codec, lip sync issues.

It's basically a ultra quiet desktop computer, connected to my home theatre (sound & video) and LCD monitor with sound also to PC audio system.

I don't use a HTPC front end I just use mouse to click on a file. For music, I use a Squeezebox. HTPC could be storage for the music if I want, but sometimes it's switched off, so music on a NAS works better.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1525286/sound-card-dolby-dts-decoder-vs-receiver-decoder-decoder#post_24554860

J-River will manage your library, but you still need a program to read the disc. They suggest AnyDVD HD. As far as hardware goes, just about anything will handle 1080P playback. An Intel Pentium with integrated graphics will do fine, this lets you build a compact, low power system.

Is AnyDVD HD the best software solution for someone wanting BluRay quality movie performance? If not, what is the best software for this purpose?

Also, would a new sound card be needed for use with J-River & xyz software? My PC does not have an HDMI output.

Last question...does the PC itself have any effect on the sound quality of the movie playback? For example, would I get better sound quality by upgrading my PC to a new and higher quality unit with the latest Intel chip?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
would I get better sound quality by upgrading my PC to a new and higher quality unit with the latest Intel chip?

Nope.

I'm not sure about BD playback, but for regular MKV H264 I use Media Player Home Cinema Edition.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1525286/sound-card-dolby-dts-decoder-vs-receiver-decoder-decoder#post_24554920

Is AnyDVD HD the best software solution for someone wanting BluRay quality movie performance? If not, what is the best software for this purpose?

Also, would a new sound card be needed for use with J-River & xyz software? My PC does not have an HDMI output.

Last question...does the PC itself have any effect on the sound quality of the movie playback? For example, would I get better sound quality by upgrading my PC to a new and higher quality unit with the latest Intel chip?

AnyDVD HD is what J-River suggests, but they say "or other software". I think CyberPowerDVD is probably the most refined, there are probably some trials out there. Additionally, if you buy a retail blu-ray player for a computer, it should come with a copy of the software.

AFAIK you need HDMI to take advantage of the highest quality audio formats like DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD. You could get a basic GPU to do this, check out the nVidia website to see what GPUs support the HD audio formats over Blu-ray. You won't see any better sound quality since you would be sending a digital signal to the receiver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon  /t/1525286/sound-card-dolby-dts-decoder-vs-receiver-decoder-decoder#post_24554790

It looks like that system has digital inputs, which means it has it's own DAC. A sound card will probably have a better DAC but you won't be able to tell the difference with that system. In this scenario, a sound card is useless, just run an optical or digital coax from your computer's motherboard to the Logitech system.
Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts