AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So up until now I've just been using the integrated sound card that's on my motherboard. But I'm ready to make the jump to digital, and need input on what kind of sound card to consider.

I'm using theatertek to play dvd's and the receiver I'm looking at getting is the Panasonic SA-HE200 which has five digital inputs, dts, prologicII and all that good stuff.

I use the htpc mostly for movies, but also play some pc games on it so directx 9 compatibility would be nice.

What do people suggest?

Kris

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't know about the games bit, but if you're outputting digital to a receiver, I would have thought that any cheap sound card with SPDIF output will do - a lot are made with the CMI 8738 sound chip.

The only factor that may alter the sound quality is the amount of jitter (measured in picoseconds) on the line.

Arnie

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been watching DVD's in my computer and playing a lot of games as well. Im using an Audigy 2 with its cambridge speakers or using headphones and im very happy with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
BTW, theres also a new Creative Audigy 2 ZS.

"Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Features and Benefits

The Audigy 2 ZS will be available in three product offerings including the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, with the following compelling features and benefits:

- 7.1 surround sound adds audio realism to games;

- 108dB SNR across all eight channels for unsurpassed audio quality;

- THX® Multimedia Certification with Creative's unique THX Setup Console that provides accurate audio calibration for a precise speaker listening environment;

- EAX® 4.0 ADVANCED HD™ ready* adds ultra-realistic Multi-Environment™ effects that deliver life-like sound as multiple environment acoustics are simultaneously processed in real-time;

- Built-in DTS-ES™ and Dolby Digital® EX decoding delivers captivating audio playback in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 surround with DVD movies;

- Karaoke feature suppresses vocals on MP3, WMA and CD music allowing you to sing along to your favorite songs;

- Smart Playlist feature allows users to create custom playlists based on a multitude of options such as tempo, artist, last play date and custom rating;

- Full EAX 3.0 ADVANCED HD version of Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness® and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield® included with Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS and Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum versions;

- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro also include an internal or external I/O drive respectively, adding connections such as S/PDIF and analog I/O ports, MIDI I/O and an additional FireWire® port for convenient connectivity;

- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro also include the high-end music creation applications Steinberg Cubasisâ„¢ VST 4.0 Creative Edition + Wavelab Lite 2.0 and Image Line FL Studio 4 Creative Edition."

Id buy this if I didn't have my Audigy 2 yet...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Probably you should add:

"- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS still lousily resamples standard 44.1KHz signals"

I doubt this not the case, because all cards from the Live have suffered from this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.