AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a music jukebox using a small PC case and MB I have. Problem is, onboard MB sound is crap. I want to add a better sound card, but I can't find one that will fit in my case. I need a half-size card with digital out. Does it exist?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I haven't bought a sound card in a few months but I can't see how the usual cards (SB Audigy, SB Live) could be too big for a case. If the motherboard holds a PCI slot, then the case should be able to hold a regular PCI card. Unless sound cards have changed recently, they are just about the same size as the PCI slot from what I remember. Video cards are usually the ones that have trouble fitting into a case.

Do you know the manuf and model of your case? Is the case not tall enough or not long enough for the card? Which card have you tried that won't work?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My case is not wide enough. the chassis fits a standard bracket, but the card needs to be half as tall as the bracket to fit in my case, otherwise the drive bays get in the way. I've tried using a SB Live that I had sitting around, but it doesn't fit. It's too tall.

I was able to find a video card the fits, but I haven't been able to find a sound card. I don't know the make or model of the case, but the motherboard is an ASUS CUSI-FX. Technically it supports a full-sized PCI card, and in a different case I'd have no problems. However I want this thing sitting in my living room beside my TV, so the smaller case is ideal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah... see therte's issue #2... my MB doesn't support USB 2.0. I would need to get a USB 2.0 add-on card. I think it might be easier to find a low-profile USB card instead of a sound card. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nevermind... I got around it by taking out the floppy drive completely. Since I only use it to boot the computer when installing the OS, it's something I can put in temporarily if I ever need to reformat. Besides... I can always boot from CD if need be.

·
Registered
838 Posts
clarkey, I recently discovered how to take a bootable floppy, and make a bootable CD of the floppy image. I've been able to run things like burn tests, memory tests, and hard drive diagnostics using this method.

One very cool trick is to burn a floppy image which mounts the CDROM drive as a device (like the Win98/ME boot floppies), then stuff the rest of the CD with anything you want. Using this trick, you can still boot off the CD, but have access to the entire capacity of the CD from the DOS prompt!

- Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.