AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need help getting sound card & how does this work...

Digitalconnection is sellingPCI 24/192 Digital/Analog 8-channel Sound Card @ 139 with TheaterTek Bundle.

Can I use this card to connect my denon 5.1 receiver? or

Is it possible to use this card to connect my speakers without useing receiver???

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
"Can I use this card to connect my denon 5.1 receiver?"

Yes (analog and/or digitally)

"Is it possible to use this card to connect my speakers without useing receiver???"

Analog:

If your speakers are the typical 'passive' type (the speakers don't have amplification and are not 'plugged in') you need to feed the soundcard's analog into some sort of amplification (e.g., receivers 5.1 direct inputs) and connect the speakers to the amplifying device. If the speakers are 'active', meaning they have built in amplification and are powered, then you should be able to feed the soundcards analog-outs to the speakers' analog-ins.

Digital:

Some computer multi-media (e.g., creative) type of speaker systems include electronics for digital signals. This means basically the speakers have the amplifying and DD and/or DTS functionality that is normally associated with something like a receiver. If your speaker system has that, then you can connect the soundcard's s/pdif-out to the system's s/pdif-in

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply...

My spakers are passive& subwoofer is active connected to Denon 2700 (5.1). Am thinking about upgrading to 7.1 and dont want to spend $$$ buying 7.1 receiver.

since i dont have active receiver and no amp, will I be wasting my money on 24/192 Digital/Analog 8-channel Sound Card.

Will I be able to use this card with my receiver @ this point & in future by power speakers & amps to connect surround speakers.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
In my opinion I don't think you'll be wasting your money - beyond the fact that 139.00 is pretty darn inexpensive, here's my reasoning...

Starting with a 5.1 setup, you can either connect the card's S/PDIF to your receiver's S/PDIF-in or, connect the cards analog Front Left, FR, C, S, SL, and SR to your receiver's 5.1 analog input. Note that if you are using the digital connection you aren't using the soundcard's dac, nor will be able to play dvd-a once that option is available (which as I understand it, requires using the card's analog outputs).

Now let's say you add powered rear surround speakers for full 7.1...

Feed the card's FL,FR, C, S, SL, SR to your receiver as before.

Feed the card's Rear L, Rear R to your new powered rear surround speakers.

(you'll probably need to tell windows and maybe the card's control panel your new speaker setup, and you'll need a software dvd movie player that can decode to 7.1).

The only disadvantage with this arrangement that comes to my mind is that if you prefer to have the source (which is the soundcard) set at maximum volume and control the volume via hardware, you will have to control it at 2 places - the receiver and the powered speaker system volume control.

Edit - I should probably add that many recommend having similar speakers all the way around for balanced home theater sound etc... So if you are aiming for the full-on audiophile setup, just ignore me :rolleyes: But I personally think you could achieve a respectable sound with something like I described above (just an opinion).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks very much for your great help....

I shouldnt have any problem connecting powered speakers or thru amp to passive speakers. I dont think my receiver (denon 2700) has option for incoming signal for FL,FR,C,SL,SR . (will check when I get home tomorrow).

Any DVD softare that can decode 7.1??? I will be getting TheaterTek with this sound card purchase.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Keep in mind they might not be labelled as FL, FR, etc... I was just using it as shorthand for Front Left, Front Right, Center, Sub, Surround Left & Surround Right (you probably knew that, I just wanted to be sure in case I wasn't clear). Most receivers have 'direct analog' inputs - these are the receiver inputs you would use if you were connecting a standalone DVD player to your receiver and you were decoding the DD in the DVD player instead of the receiver. On my Sony receiver there's a button called 5.1 If I click that button the receiver audio is whatever is hooked up to the 5.1 analog inputs.

As far as DVD software for decoding 7.1, I know that at least WinDVD 4 Plus can do it. I've heard great things about the TheaterTek, but I believe as far as audio its designed to only do S/PDIF passthrough (which means it 'passes' the undecoded audio through the soundcard S/PDIF to your receiver for decoding - someone please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong about TT audio).

Your problem with this is that your receiver I believe is 5.1, so now you've lost the 2 extra channels. For 7.1, you probably should plan on using something like WinDVD 4 Plus instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.