AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a xi fi titanium sound card connected to a yamaha HTR-3064 av receiver via the cards optical output.

This goes into the optical in on AV1 on my receiver.

In windows7 sound settings I have the speakers configured to 5.1 and have made them the default device.

Creative audio control panel settings -

Speakers 5.1

Entertainment mode

If I dont have either DTS or dolby digital live encoding selected I dont get any audio out of my receiver.

Just found this on the creative site

It is strongly recommended that you connect your Sound Blaster to the analog multi-channel inputs instead of digital input if your AV receiver has both digital input as well as analog multi-channel inputs.

If you are going to connect from the Digital Out on your Sound Blaster to the Digital Input on your receiver, you will only receive multi channel audio when your are playing DVD games, or DVD movies, or standalone AC3 files. You will only hear stereo (front left and right channels) when playing MP3, MID, AVI, WAC, or WMA et.

In addition, the DVD-Audio playback is restricted to analog out only. The Digital Out will be automatically muted when you start to play a DVD-Audio file. (DVD Audio is not supported in Windows Vista).

The analog input jacks on some AV receivers may be labeled as DVD input or DVD Multi-channel.

When they say multi channel audio is that surround sound?

Is this setup correctly or am I missing something as I thought the receiver would be able to decode the audio signal from the sound card.

Also whats the best way to test If I am getting true 5.1 surround sound as I have a bluray player and powerdvd9 on my pc.

Cheers for the help,

Dan

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Or you can just get almost any ATI video card and use HDMI for audio.

If you use receiver (vs. set of powered speakers), there is zero reason to have audio card in computer at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right but I was trying to give myself a reason why I spent so much on a sound card :p

I think research of the product is the key....

My ati card does 7.1 over hdmi so I will just take this to the receiver then to the TV monitor. I can then use the sound card for my 5.1 headphones when I want to be silent.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.