AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently doing some upgrading to my normal gaming machine so I can hook it up to my AE700u for some big screen gaming and to fiddle w/ playing DVD's off my PC. I have purchased a lone enough VGA cable so I have the video end handled. I'm confused about the audio/sound card portion of this however. I'm gonna need to run the sound from my PC to my HT receiver which is about 25' away. This rules out using Toslink, so I need to run digital coax. What sound card will work for passing DD and DTS to my receiver and give me surround sound for gaming over coax? Is there such a beast besides the $79 DD Live card that Turtle Beach makes?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I ,too, would like to know, as I just took my Dell w/P4 to my dedicated HT. I have it hooked up to a JVC HX2.I now understandwhy so many people go this route as the picture quality is stunning.I need to run a 15 foot digital connection to my processor..I have optical and coax available.Cant imagine how much optical run would cost that far. I saw a CL Audissey sound card but has a optical output. So,like Spyfy, I wonder whats best plan for me too. I would like a DD and DTS 5.1 , maybe even 7.1 , since my setup is 7.1, just not many DTS-ES to choose from. Any reccommendations for us????Fishman

·
Registered
435 Posts
Off topic...but this thread just helped me with something. I saw that creative cards did not have SPDIF out (optical) but did list that it had SPDIF out. Since I did not notice any connection that looked like SPDIF (I thought optical was the only way...little square box) what the heck is creative talking about?

Do they have a coax SPDIF out...not optical...is that right? Does the coax SDIF still transmit in digital?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCnewbie
Off topic...but this thread just helped me with something. I saw that creative cards did not have SPDIF out (optical) but did list that it had SPDIF out. Since I did not notice any connection that looked like SPDIF (I thought optical was the only way...little square box) what the heck is creative talking about?

Do they have a coax SPDIF out...not optical...is that right? Does the coax SDIF still transmit in digital?
Most of the time these cards can output a SPDIF stream over one of the RCA outs (like line out jack and sometimes you can assign which jack). You also then have to usually get a RCA -> Coax adapater but they can be found cheaply at radio shack.

Sometimes some onboard sound cards refer to having an optical out but are referring to a seperate riser board you have to purchase that gives you this connection as well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Quote:
Most of the time these cards can output a SPDIF stream over one of the RCA outs
Is the signal that comes from the RCA SPDIF still digital (I don't think it is) or how does that work exactly with the 5.1 receiver? There is always something new to learn...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
 S/PDIF does not imply that it's optical. It implies that it's digital -- there are multiple transmission media to send digital audio, including optical and coaxial. It's like the difference between fiberoptics and Cat-5 sending data to your computer -- it's digital either way, just a different medium.

Get the cheapest card that has an S/PDIF output and you'll be fine. This assumes you don't care about multi-channel output for gaming, though. If you do care about that, make sure it can do that kind of output as well.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCnewbie
Is the signal that comes from the RCA SPDIF still digital (I don't think it is) or how does that work exactly with the 5.1 receiver? There is always something new to learn...
If you are a gamer, you must use the 6 channel analog connection to your receiver because digital output will only be 2 channel. The only time you will get multichannel is from DVD's since the audio stream will just passthrough to your receiver.

If you want multichannel through digital for games, you will need a Dolby Digital Live soundcard like the Turtle Beach Montego DDL, X-Mystique DDL card or the older Nforce2 mobos w/ Soundstorm. (W/C I use BTW) I think some Intel mobos also have this.

There are threads on this issue if you need more info....mike....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wow...thanks guys, that information was great!

Now...I am a gamer while I think two speakers would be just fine but let's say I did get the Creative Audigy (it gives me firewire on the same card as my sound card and I need to save the space) and I use the SPDIF via coax...does that leave the work on my 5.1 receiver like optical SPDIF would OR...does going coax leave the work to my sound card.

That's my last question regarding sound...the main surround sound I care about is for DVD's while the WMdvd (not the name I'm pretty sure…the windows thing) that comes in HD quality does need a "live surround sound" card and I think that would be a cool feature to have.

But...thanks for listing the other cards, at least now I have various options.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Icarus, or anyone out there know if the Audiotek 7.1Lt plays DVD-Audio and SACD disc? And, anyone familar with the M-Audio Revolution 7.1. They both seem similar, but still unsure of payable formats.. Thanks Fishman

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
HTPCNewbie, your receiver would process the digital audio source. It doesn't really matter which one does, though. WMV-HD will work fine with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.