Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have an ASUS motherboard with a C-Media CMI 8738 chipset onboard and adapter for SPDIF output and I also have a MAudio 2496 card but I cannot get either of them to work correctly under Win98 regardless of the drivers I use.

MAudio

I can get SPDIF out, and I can also get DD/DTS but ONLY in 2 channel mode using WinDVD either directly or via ZoomPlayer. According to the WinDVD support site, multiple channels are only available if you can make the appropriate setting in the multimedia setup box, but there is no properties tab for the MAudio card to set this up.

The Direct Digital option is not available for CD playback so that doesn’t work either.

CMI8738

The SPDIF output works, but only as a default WaveOut device so that the SPDIF is not recognised by WinDVD. WinDVD seems to take it settings from the Windows speaker configuration, but the 8738 SPDIF mode only works when set to 2 speakers/headphones and so WinDVD assumes it needs to down mix to two channels.

Direct Digital CD does work with this chipset though.

Obviously I would like to get 5.1 channel DD/DTS for DVD and at the same time get some form of CD audio output. Any ideas on how to get this to work with either of these sound cards would be appreciated.

BTW I am using Win98 because it allows much better control of the CDFS buffer cache. W2K and XP don’t allow this and the DVD playback is more sensitive to read errors.

Liam

·
Registered
670 Posts
I dont know anything about that particular mobo, or either of the two cards you mention.

You might try uninstalling one or the other of the sound cards, just in case they are playing mind games with the OS. My experiences with having more than one sound card run the gamut from "boy that worked easy" to "I am going to get my sledgehammer out of the garage and when I get back you better work, dammit!". Eliminate this layer of complexity and see what happens.

Good luck,

Gerald

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I have already tried disabling the onboard sound device while using the MAudio card, or pulling out the MAudio while using the C-Media. I a have also tried both at the same time which works as well as either separately, and various combinations of new and old drivers, uninstalling devices, disabling devices and so on.

Both cards work, just not as I would like :-(

Liam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.