AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get rid of my computer desk, so I will be connecting my PC to my TV (Sammy HL-S5087W). My computer is quite a bit old now, but how do I go about connecting it to my receiver for sound? I have an Audigy 2 ZS card and I know I probably won't be able to get 5,1 out of it. What are some cheap cards that I should be looking at and what is the best way of hooking it up to my receiver (Onkyo HT-R330).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I wanted something under $100 bucks preferably. They computer is old enough to where I don't want to put a lot of money into it until I can buy something nicer.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko /forum/post/12978628

I want to get rid of my computer desk, so I will be connecting my PC to my TV (Sammy HL-S5087W). My computer is quite a bit old now, but how do I go about connecting it to my receiver for sound? I have an Audigy 2 ZS card and I know I probably won't be able to get 5,1 out of it. What are some cheap cards that I should be looking at and what is the best way of hooking it up to my receiver (Onkyo HT-R330).

According to these specs, your existing sound card has an optical digital output and will do 5.1:

http://www.nulime.com/Sb-Audigy-2-Zs...k-Varpk/p81782

So, just connect the optical out on the Audigy to the optical in on your HT-R330. You may need to purchase a cable.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Actually the A2ZS, will only do 5.1 in Pass-through mode when watching DVD's.

For gaming you would need analog connection if you want to game in surround sound.

Other then that I would go digital with that card.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mostly I think that you will use your computer to play movies not games, right? If so, to get 5.1 out of it, just buy an optical cable with a mini adapter then connect the cable with a mini optical adapter from the sound card (optical port, hope you can see it) to the receiver (at input optical port). That's it!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee /forum/post/12980863

Mostly I think that you will use your computer to play movies not games, right? If so, to get 5.1 out of it, just buy an optical cable with a mini adapter then connect the cable with a mini optical adapter from the sound card (optical port, hope you can see it) to the receiver (at input optical port). That's it!

I bought the Dynex $30 sound card at Best Buy. It has optical out on it... the Envy24 chipset. Works fine for me until we get reliably 7.1 over HDMI on a PC and I have enough cash for a new A/V receiver that decodes the latest and greatest codecs. both will probably happen about the same time. :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Audigy 2 ZS is a perfectly capable sound card that is still probably better than most new budget cards. You can use a digital coax cable connection to pass through Dolby Digital and DTS movie soundtracks. If you want games in surround you will need to hook up the analog outputs to you receiver's multichannel inputs if it has them.

I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum and it does everything I need it to just fine. The only feature on new sound cards that would be worth upgrading to is Dolby Digital Live / DTS Connect so that all sources are sent to the receiver in digital surround sound and only one cable is required.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert /forum/post/12979409

According to these specs, your existing sound card has an optical digital output and will do 5.1:

So, just connect the optical out on the Audigy to the optical in on your HT-R330. You may need to purchase a cable.

the card you linked to is the notebook version of the audigy 2 zs. the regular version has a s/pdif out, which connects with a coax cable if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm so sorry, I had forgotten that at some point I used hacked drivers to benefit from the Audigy 2 software and actually have an Audigy 1.

So no optical on the card... For the time being, I can just use an RCA cable to my receiver correct?

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko /forum/post/12981825

So no optical on the card... For the time being, I can just use an RCA cable to my receiver correct?

Optical is not necessary, coax is just as good. As long as one of the 1/8" mini jacks supports digital output, then just get a coax cable with 1/8" plug on one end and a single RCA plug on the other and you should be good to go. Or get a 1/8" to RCA adapter and then use a regular RCA cable to your receiver.

You will have to disable the hardware decoding of Dolby Digital / DTS signals by the card in order for them to be passed to your receiver.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome! What is the best and cheapest way of connecting the coax to my receiver, since my receiver only has one jack and it's in use already?

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko /forum/post/13007416

Awesome! What is the best and cheapest way of connecting the coax to my receiver, since my receiver only has one jack and it's in use already?

You could just get a RCA splitter for a couple bucks. The only thing is you can usually only have one component active at a time for this to work or else the signals can interfere with each other. I think you could also get a manual switch if you can find a simple, cheap one for coax.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts