AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much better of an improvement does one get if using a sound card over motherboard audio?

I'm looking for recommendations as well on sound cards too as well if that is the case.
I am only using 2 speakers only though. Mainly for music/gaming.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I use to always buy a sound card on my builds, but I have to admit I don't bother anymore. Over the last couple of years motherboard audio has gotten so good, that unless you need some additional optical or some other hook up, or audio is your profession, I just don't bother anymore.

·
Registered
728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 /forum/post/15461372

I use to always buy a sound card on my builds, but I have to admit I don't bother anymore. Over the last couple of years motherboard audio has gotten so good, that unless you need some additional optical or some other hook up, or audio is your profession, I just don't bother anymore.

Hi RR, I'm in Covington!! Anyway, this is my thought too, however after researching sound cards for hours and hours, most reviewers claim that everything sounds much better with an add-on sound card. This is there words not mine. I don't have a sound card, but wanted one. I just can't justify $100+ right now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm fine with just 2 speakers. They're Usher S-520s connected to a receiver connected to the computer by stereo-to-RCA cables. My motherboard is an M2N motherboard with an Athlon 4200+ processor. Theres a SPDIF connection that some peeps have suggested me to connect to my receiver with the stereo-to-RCA cables on another forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Use a creative soundcard. They have notoriously crappy support, but they have the market completely cornered with their use of EAX. Game developers are able to add effects (reverb for example) to each sound as well as to use many more voices (sounds) in each scene. It's true that onboard sound is much better now than it used to be, but to get the most out of your games' sound then you really need a dedicated card.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was told to try out my receiver DAC first and see if I like the sound output from that. They say that internal DACs are not good because the power supply does not create a "clean"(?) supply to the DACs on the sound card or motherboard.

Will have to test out the receiver though first with a coaxial cable though. Its a Harmon Kardon AVR 146. So far listening to CDs and mp3s have been awesome though, much greater clarity

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.