AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching LOTR earlier today and this isn't really a problem...just curiosity.

Question is this. Does the DVD player have any effect on the sound quality or is this handle solely on the receiver? Would I benefit in upgrading the DVD player for sound quality purposes?

Guess I am just wondering which is more important...the sound conversions on the DVD player...or the receiver. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Depends...

Are you using a bitstream digital connection (co-ax or optical cable) or are you using the analog 5.1 connection (6 analog audio cables from DVD player to receiver)? If you are using a digital connection all it does is pass the digital data off of the DVD straight to the receiver to decode - in that case any DVD player will sound the same (unless there is something really wrong with it and it doesn't pass all the soundtrack data).

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
The quality of playback sound for decoded 5.1 Dolby or DTS is dependent upon the DSP and DACs (digital to analog converters). For the most part, the sonic quality of these key components is cost dependent, and the more expensive ones should sound better. For example, a $799 universal DVD player should sound better than a $149 Apex for 5.1 decoding, also a $999 AVR should sound better than an AVR in a $299 HTIB special.

But as pappy always would say..

First make sure the levels are matched.

Next sit down and listen carefully, then choose which ever sounds better to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.