AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Thanks to a link I could not remember and Dave Beatty at Whisperflow, I have this address where you can buy sound deafening foam for your hush box. According to Dave, placement around the baffle area of the projector does a great deal to minimize ambient fan noise from the enclosure.

When I get it up and running, I'll report back the results and the best methods of installation for any and all interested. The minimum order is 40 square feet so ask for scrap sections they have available.

Mike
http://www.800nonoise.com/foam.htm

· Registered
2,295 Posts
I put sonex in mine and it is super quiet. It wasn't cheap though, I think I paid about $70 for 4 2x2 foot squares. I only needed about 1/3 of what I bought, but I found it online so I clicked and it came and I am happy so what the heck.

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

· Registered
265 Posts
Mikerascan: you said: "placement around the baffle area of the projector" I am not from america what is the baffle area??? When i translated it the computer said "throwing from it's feet" that doesn't help me much.

thanks,

Kjelt

· Registered
763 Posts
I got the same link from Dave and ordered some on Wednesday. Should be here next week.

But, Dave mentioned putting mine on the wall where the exhaust fans are.

Any one else have any other info?

Chuck

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Kjelt,

I did not intend to "baffle" you.... :) What I meant was to place it near the exhaust area of your projector since that is the greatest source of noise.

I remember once when landing in Sydney... The pilot stated to us foreign visitors that there were translators in the terminal who spoke Japanese, Spanish, English and American.

Mike

· Registered
565 Posts
So whatever happened to the results of this foam test? Trying to find a way to decrease ceiling mounted LT150 noise without resorting to sealed hushbox creation.

Petey

· Registered
763 Posts
Pete:

It works. Mine is in a WhisperFlow. I used the 2" foam but it I did it again I would use the 1" foam. 2" makes the fit of the projector too tight inside of the enclosure.

Also, on the WhisperFlow the new front panel that Dave has with optical glass was a amjor factor in reducing the noise level.

HTH

Chuck

· Registered
565 Posts
Thanks Chuck, but can you give me an idea how much noise was reduced following just the foam addition vs. the glass front? TIA!

Petey

· Registered
133 Posts
Chuck,

Did you use the Hushcloth or the barrier foam?

· Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm interested in using this, or something similar, on the inside of the doors to the cabinet containing my component rack. Could someone please post which version they used, and whether or not it's attractive enough to use on the inside of doors, which become visible whenever they're opened?

- Dave

· Registered
950 Posts
I've used an egg crate type foam that, resembles an egg carton with success for surpressing ambient noise. I found it in the yellow pages under sound proofing. It works very well, and is not very expensive.

HTH, VB

· Registered
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by programmergeek
what is the link to this stuff, I am intrested?
It's in the very first post.

And for those who like me are not from the US, but (unlike me ;) ) have a problem with the word baffle, check out wordsmyth:

http://www.wordsmyth.net/cgi-bin/sea...atchtype=exact

· Registered
598 Posts
I found a couple of panels that I plan on using for my hushbox. They were originally used as packing material for some routers at work, I think they were Cisco, but I could be wrong.

They are a lovely pink color and are 17 x 14 1/2 x 1 1/2" and are the standard eggshell type design. You might want to talk to your IT guys at work and see if they ever get anything like this that they could set aside for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.