AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CBS HDTV satellite system is only capable of Dolby Digital 2.0, at this time. Your audio decoder is probably set up to take any DD format that is not 5.1 and send it thru Pro Logic decoding.

Volume levels can vary with DTV, much more so than you will be used to from NTSC. I also live in the Detroit area, usually WWJ-DT has what I call "normal" audio volume level. But I didn't see the golf yesterday, so I can't speak to that in particular. I'll check it today & get back later.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
144 Posts
Actually, the birds sounded the same for me (was really cool). The surrounds were clear, just the center channel was muffled.

Tim

·
Registered
508 Posts
CBS has previously used recorded bird sounds for their golf presentations. As I recall, one listener actually recognized a bird sound and called in that the bird does not exist in that part of the country. Tom

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I checked out the Masters today. On WWJ-DT, audio level did vary from camera shot to shot, and the center channel was a little low.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
144 Posts
I watched CBS' coverage of the Masters yesterday (4/5) on channel 44-1, which is WWJ-DT in Detroit. The picture looked good, but not as good as I thought/hoped it would. The problem I had was the sound. First, it came in as Pro-Logic! Second, the level of the sound from the digital output of my DTC100 in Dolby Digital or Auto mode was far lower then when I set it to PCM. It also sounded muffled.

So my questions are: Is it CBS? Is it WWJ-DT? Is it my DTC100?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have found the sound on all of the HD channels (ie CBS, FOX, HBO) to be significantly lower than other cable channels (I get HD through TWC in Houston). No problem, just turn up the volume.

As for the quality of the sound, I agree. CBS broadcast of NCAA Final Four was also stereo at best, but I guess that they don't exactly have microphones strung all around the course/court to do a live surround sound broadcast.

I would guess that a live surround sound broadcast is pretty challenging as soon as you get away from a fixed concert hall environment type arrangement of the sound sources.

I'm happy to get the HDTV broadcast courtesy of Mitsubishi's sponsorship (NCAA, not sure who's sponsoring Master's HDTV broadcast) rather than having to do PPV, which I suspect is the future of HDTV sporting events. For a sporting event, I'm willing to live with mono sound if necessary.

[This message has been edited by BondDude (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a RCA DTC-100 and the picture and the sound are great. In fact, the sound is much louder on the HD channels than my cable channels.

As far as the broadcast of the Masters, the picture and sound were increadable.

I suspect the problem may be either your unit or your local CBS affiliate with regards to the sound and picture quality. Keep in mind that it is all possible that your local affialte may not be using the full bandwitdh for 1080i. You'll be surprised how the picture quality varies from one affialitate to another.

For example, I've been able to compare the CBS affialtes airing the Masters in HD in both Washington,D.C. and Baltimore at a local retailer and have noticed the variation in picture quality using the same HDTV.

So this may sometimes explain why some people are impressed in one town, but in another town watching the same broadcast they are not impressed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.