AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed MyHD with the latest drivers from Digital Connection. Everything else works fine except sound. I have the SPDIF out from MyHD card connected to my Denon AVR3200 Receiver. I can hear the sound but every few seconds there is a sound drop-out. When I look at my receiver, the "Dolby Digital" LED turns off during this sound drop-out (and then turns on quickly again). It's as if the receiver thinks that the signal is not DD every few seconds.

My PC is pretty fast (> 2GHz) and I am running XP home. The CPU utilization is normal. The drop-outs exist while I am watching TV or if I am playing recorded programming.

I have "audio output" set to SPDIF (with cable out and wav turned off) and I have "digital audio: output mode" set to SPDIF as well. I am using separate monitors for computer and HDTV.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Without this problem fixed, this card is not usable.

Many thx.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...

Has no one else experienced this problem? I have tried all sorts of things to fix this: not show overlay picture; route the signal through a digital audio switcher before the receiver; convert coax to optical; etc. None of this seems to solve the problem.

If I can't get this fixed, I will need to return this to Digital Connection and try some other HD capture card.

Thx

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Check the connections on the cable between the MyHD card and your receiver. Also try another cable.

And if that does not fix the problem call DC for a replacement card.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I get something like this.. I'm not sure if it's the same as you are seeing.

When viewing some VOB files, the sound drops out every 5 seconds or so, then quickly comes back.

A system reboot solves the problem for me. I am not completely sure what causes the problem. It seems like the problem happens after the system has went into standby mode, then restarted. But, I'm not sure if that's just coincidental.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey

I too see the same problem, but only after I return the system from standby. I have to reboot the machine to get the sound to play correctly.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have an Intel 815EEAL (Intel 815 chipset) motherboard, with a P3 1GHz CPU. I am running Win2K, and the 1.55.3.3 driver.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ripnickus
I have not done it in a long time (disabled standby) but I was getting the audio dropouts on any channel I tried after resuming.
Have you upgraded the BIOS for the motherboard?

I have no problem from audio dropout coming out of suspend or hybernate.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have two hard drives in the system, one internal 80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, and one external 120GB Western Digital (not sure about the model, it's 5400RPM, with a 2MB Cache). I have seen this behavior with both drives.

I thought at first it might be reverting to PIO mode after waking from standby, but I checked it and it's still in DMA mode. Doing file copies is still very fast.

I also thought the firewire could be causing problems. So, I unplugged the firewire drive, and ran it with one drive for a while, but the problem still came back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Cliff,

Thx for your response. The problem I see on my card happens all the time -- and not just on "resume". I rebooted the machine to check this. This problem also happens on all digital channels. I checked the cable and connections. No problems there (same cable works fine when I use it with my DVD player).

I had sent an email to DC earlier this week but didn't get a response back. I will call DC tomorrow to get a replacement.

Thx.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.