AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the way my room is now it's not terribly great for sound. I do have a 5.1 system set up, but I usually leave it off unless I'm watching a movie which means that for most TV I'm just using the speaker on the projector. I'd like to run a sound bar (or even some PC speakers) up front so that the sound isn't coming from behind/above me but all of my equipment is in a closet behind where I sit. To get a front sound stage, I'm going to probably have to run a connection upwards of 50 feet if I follow the outside wall.

I'm guessing my options would be something like this:

1. LONG HDMI or 3.5mm cable (50ish feet) from the HTPC to a sound bar up front
2. LONG 3.5mm cable from HTPC to some front PC speakers or something like that
3. Small Parts-Express type 2 channel amp and then long speaker runs from the amp to some small bookshelf/PC speakers up front.

Any recommendations/drawbacks to those options? I haven't looked into wireless speakers as I'm not sure how they would be with lipsync issues which would annoy me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your setup is a little unclear. If you have a 5.1 sound system, don't you already have 3 speakers in front of you relative to your screen? Is it an el cheapo sound system and you want to replace it with a simple sound bar? Most receivers allow you to adjust the sound for whatever you are viewing whether it be movies, news, sports, games etc. My 7.1 set up is all sources go into my receiver with HDMI then the video signal goes to the projector or a flat screen depending.
with your sources for video behind you and if you have multiple sources how are you switching them into the PJ? I have not heard of using a sound bar for a PJ in a home setup but I am sure it has been done. If you are not concerned about all of the Dolby sound features, you can probably just use wireless either speaker or a headset. Williams makes a decent setup where you plug a small transmitter into RCA audio jacks and it has a small receiver you plug headphones or ear buds into. It comes with rechargeable batteries and is reasonably priced $100+/- and has good sound with no interference and no sound lag. However, I have a wireless Epson PJ which does have video lag, a minus 330ms, but I can adjust it our with my receiver.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Just to keep things simple, I would look for a soundbar that would allow for the most direct hook-up possible from your source.

If your sources is HTPC, I would use the 3.5mm connection to analog (RCA) inputs on a basic soundbar such as the Pioneer or Sony that offers analog inputs. HDMI over 25' might pose an issue.

If you were doing speakers, there are a number of powered speakers, such as those from eMotiva that could handle what you are looking for and solve all of your problems easily without the cost of the additional amplifier.

You could also look at Amazon for the Sound Sommeliers which offer a very open and unique full range sound and can be had with self amplification or you can furnish your own.

Seems you have a number of options.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. For the time being I've run a 3.5mm cable from my projector and underneath a large area rug to under the screen to a powered speaker that I had laying around. It's decent sound and for the time being, will get me through my current situation. I can still turn on the AVR for surround sound, which cuts the sound to the projector anyway, and most of the time when my kids are watching TV I just use the powered speaker. I haven't noticed any lip-sync issues. I'd rather not have the cable run across the floor, but for the time being it should suffice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts