AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this true.....

Dolby Pro Logic® IIz processing lets you use front "height" speakers instead of back surrounds, for a taller soundstage?

So what exactly does Dolby PLIIx concentrate on?

The IIx is the one I use all the time when I am watching tv or movies....it seems like the center channel is fuller with this option?

Which surround channel (if there is a specific one) is used more often to watch movies like Avatar, Rambo (the new one), Interstellar, battle LA, etc?

The above question is more of which sound will give me the full potential of my 7.2 surround? as far as movies are concerned?

What surround format do YOU like using and why?

thx :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Is this true.....

Dolby Pro Logic® IIz processing lets you use front "height" speakers instead of back surrounds, for a taller soundstage?

So what exactly does Dolby PLIIx concentrate on?

The IIx is the one I use all the time when I am watching tv or movies....it seems like the center channel is fuller with this option?

Which surround channel (if there is a specific one) is used more often to watch movies like Avatar, Rambo (the new one), Interstellar, battle LA, etc?

The above question is more of which sound will give me the full potential of my 7.2 surround? as far as movies are concerned?

What surround format do YOU like using and why?

thx :rolleyes:
Dolby Prologic IIx is capable of upmixing native stereo, 5.1, and 6.1 channel content to as many as 7.1 channels, adding rear surrounds to the traditional 5.1 speaker layout.

Dolby Prologic IIz is the next step in evolution beyond Dolby Prologic IIx. It is capable of upmixing native stereo, 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 channel content to as many as 9.1 channels, adding front heights to the traditional 7.1 speaker layout. It also has the flexibility to allow you to use front height speakers instead of rear surrounds in a modified 7.1 speaker setup. It can also be used in the traditional 7.1 layout with rear surrounds. In other words, you don't have to use front heights to use Dolby Prologic IIz. It has other benefits beyond just the option to use front heights.

So, to answer you question as to whether you should use Dolby Prologic IIx or Dolby Prologic IIz, the answer is to use Dolby Prologic IIz (assuming you want to be using either).

Now, the question of whether you should use front heights or rear surrounds is a different matter. If you have a 9.1 capable AVR or pre/pro, then the answer is to use both if both will work in your room. (Note: Neither DPL IIx or DPL IIz support the use of front wide speakers, so if you want to use front wides in your setup then you would be better off using DTS Neo:X). If you have an AVR or pre/pro that only does 7.1 but can do either rear surrounds or front heights then the optimal choice is dependent on several factors including room layout, wiring options, and personal preference.

I've heard some people claim that the front heights do more to create a greater sense of immersion than rear surrounds do. YMMV. Something else to consider, though. While front heights may (or may not) have a greater impact than rear surrounds do for upmixing stereo, 5.1, and 6.1 to 7.1...the majority of native 7.1 channel content is mixed with rear surrounds in mind. So, if you have a decent number of native 7.1 channel soundtracks and you want to use the default Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio mixes without remapping then those soundtracks will sound more natural with rear surrounds rather than front heights. However, if you prefer having front heights rather than rear surrounds (or if rear surrounds won't work in your space), nothing is stopping you from using DPL IIz to remap the audio even from native 7.1 channel soundtracks.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I like DPL IIx (though I'm running 5.1 currently so it's DPL II) Music mode most of the time for 2.0 content, and have the Center width reduced from the default 3 to 2. Why? Music mode, as that Dolby article implied, seems to be for enhancing musical content, but the adjustable center width lets me put otherwise center-isolated dialog in movies a wee bit wider, so it sounds less localized. Because my floor standing speakers have more oomph than my center, voices and other sounds are fuller. Big improvement that is instantly recognizable.

It's also really nice for 2.0 mono films, so instead of my Center doing everything, I get a slightly wider sound field (matches the screen) while still centering the soundtrack over the screen.

I'm at a loss for 1.0 mono soundtracks found on recent BDs. My Yamaha's CinemaDSP Mono Movie program comes close, but I had to dial down most of all the reverb nonsense that program has.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.