AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of purchasing a new receiver in order to wire my components using HDMI. I want to connect a blu-ray player, Time Warner cable box, etc. to the receiver and then run one cable to the TV (monitor).

I am looking to purchase an Onkyo TX-SR707 Receiver.

My question is whether I must always use my receiver to get sound when watching TV or blu-ray, or can I bypass the receiver and get sound only from the TV with the receiver off? Is this possible:

Receiver off = sound from cable box passes through receiver and runs the TV speakers.

Receiver on = sound from cable box is processed by receiver and sent to the surround speakers, while the TV gets video only.

Or would it be better to attach my devices directly to my television with hdmi, and then my tv has a digital output that i connect to my receiver.

Then I can just switch the sources at the tv, and i never have to change inputs on my receiver. I would guess that since everything is plugged into the TV, the sound would come out of the TV speakers when the receiver is off.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
1,495 Posts
Funny, I just answered this on another thread...

Here's what I do.

Since your cable box will not put out HD sound (DTS-HD Master, etc), send your HDMI your TV. Be sure to select Stereo downmix in your cable box for HDMI audio.

Use the Coax or Toslink (optical) out from the box to your receiver for when you want surround as it will pass Dolby Digital 5.1 to it.

Connect your BD player to your receiver via HDMI, and another HDMI from your receiver to your TV (for a total of 2 HDMI's to the TV, but from different sources).

shane

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 /forum/post/18124380

Funny, I just answered this on another thread...

Here's what I do.

Since your cable box will not put out HD sound (DTS-HD Master, etc), send your HDMI your TV. Be sure to select Stereo downmix in your cable box for HDMI audio.

shane

Thanks Shane, but I'm not sure I fully understand your first statement. So I connect the cable box to the TV via HDMI? Not sure how to select Stereo downmix on my cable box. I'll have to check out the setup of my cable box at home tonight...

· Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35rocker /forum/post/18124584

Thanks Shane, but I'm not sure I fully understand your first statement. So I connect the cable box to the TV via HDMI? Not sure how to select Stereo downmix on my cable box. I'll have to check out the setup of my cable box at home tonight...

Yup. Get into your settings. Most have the choices of how you want the audio output over HDMI. If you have the option, chose 2-channel or Stereo, or whatever is like that.

In doing so, your HDMI will carry the image and sound to your TV. Most TV's only have L&R speakers.

By connecting the Digital out (Coax or Optical) from your cable box to your receiver, you can mute your TV and have the receiver decode the DD 5.1 signal and have good surround sound.

shane

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 /forum/post/18125184

Yup. Get into your settings. Most have the choices of how you want the audio output over HDMI. If you have the option, chose 2-channel or Stereo, or whatever is like that.

In doing so, your HDMI will carry the image and sound to your TV. Most TV's only have L&R speakers.

By connecting the Digital out (Coax or Optical) from your cable box to your receiver, you can mute your TV and have the receiver decode the DD 5.1 signal and have good surround sound.

shane

Awesome! Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.