AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I have a Martin Logan 12 speakers and pioneer VSX-32 receiver to drive the speakers for now. I want to buy a used Bryston 4B ST as an external amplifier to drive the ML speakers. I primarily listen to classical musics. Would this setup make a big improvement in the sound? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Do you have other speakers hooked up to the Pioneer (i.e. other draws on its total power)?

Do you listen very loud?

If the answer to the above questions is NO then the answer to your question is NO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are the only two speakers for now. I want to listen quite loud, but not all the time. So you are saying at low-mid volume, the external amp will not make a sound improvement?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
That depends on the size of the room, carpeted or concrete/hardwood, windowless/windows with heavy drapes...and on and on...

The 1120/32(or is it 1020/32...I forget the actual "twins" here) aren't known for their amp sections. If you feel there isn't enough power, you won't be the first owner of a NON-SC Elite receiver to think that.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
At 92dB efficiency those speakers do not need a lot of power.

There are countless threads debating whether amps (or different amps) make any difference when operating within their capabilities. There is a contest for $10,000 out there if you can hear any difference in a double-blind test.

If you only have the two speakers then the Pioneer likely has all the power you need. AVR rated power is frequently in doubt when more than 2 channels are driven.

What isn't clear is how well the Pioneer does with 4 ohm loads. Your speakers are nominal 4 ohm loads (despite saying compatible with 8 ohm receivers).

External amps come in handy with less efficient speakers needed more headroom for dynamics in music & HT. Bryston makes great amps with excellent warranties; others make less expensive amps.

Have you asked questions in the Martin Logan speaker thread?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.