AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a family room that is morphing into a part-time HT. I just bought a new house and, because the family room is on the basement level, I figured I'd get enough sound sound insulation to get by. I was wrong.

I have a pretty loud system, when I flex its muscle. I have a 7x200 Sherbourn amp, running into Dynaudio speakers (which are 4 ohm and drawing more than 200). Worse yet, I just bought the HSU Research VTF3-HO, which is cranking out chest rattling deep bass.

In the living room, right above the family room, the sound from the theater is suprisingly and depressingly clear. When there's an explosion in the theater, it is almost the same in the living room. My wife is very supportive of my hobby, but this is not fun for her.

I don't know where to start with sound insulation options. I'm going to be having a projector and screen installed, so I'll talk to my installer about it, but I need to begin by educating myself on what the possible solutions might be. At this point, it's worth $1000 to me to improve this situation, but I don't know if a realistic improvement is going to cost me $10,000. I'm completely green in this area.

Any ideas or references to useful threads would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Isolation of a room directly above is not an easy thing. You really need to isolate the structure and also seal the room pretty much air tight.

What kind of ceiling is in the lower room right now?

Bryan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.