AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Paradigm V60 Reference speakers and matching center channel for the front. My wife recently got new curtains and all of a sudden everything is 'getting in the way'. Even I agree, the tall cherry Paradigms don't blend in as they did before.

So, with great hesistation, I'm forced to look at other less conspcious options. One of the few options is Inwalls. My concern is too much sound leaking outside, since I would be installing in-walls in an exterior wall.

My house is a 26 Yr. old single family with stucco on the outside, how much noise isolation can I expect if I were to install in-wall center/left/right speakers? I have a feeling stucco isn't a great insulator.

Any reasonable way of keeping more of the sound inside?

Thanks much,

Serv

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
stucco would be similar to most such materials - drywall, brick, plaster, concrete - very low damping & stiff but heavy. forget the damping and stiffness and associatec coincidence problems for a moment, the weight will be very much a good thing for sound isolation. often, especially on older dwellings, stucco is very heavy.

for example, my childhood home got alot louder inside when the stucco was replaced with siding. take away 10 tons of mass, add some floppy flimsly metal and a small air space, and suddenly the farm equpiment is alot louder inside...

stucco isn't a bad thing at all. the windows will be problems, you can modify the interior walls to aid your cause as well.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
that experience - stucco for siding on my childhood home and the resulting increase in noise getting in - along with rennovations on a former workplace to raise STC... the walls were masonary, and to raise the sound isolation drywall and something or other were put over the existing walls, in theory this would raise STC by 15 points or something (nobody in the building knew enough to NOT think that STC wasn't a good sound rating)...

and the result was MORE noise. garbage trucks were awfully annoying, planes shook the building, it was miserable. The reason for the stucco is as simple as something called "mass law", the reason for the drywall annoyance was as simple as resonance.

where was DE when i needed him way back then????

sorry to reminisce at the expense of AVS bandwidth and your reading time, but those experiences have often floated to mind since the inception of the Goopy Green Gunk.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Brian, so there is some hope. I am still fearful of doing all the work (cutting up my inside walls) and end up building a sound system for the neighbors.

Maybe I'll look into enclosed in-walls.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
without question, you can accomplish what you need to do. And you're in a good place to start learning how. search for sound isolation and you should find an enormous amount of discussion on the topic

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.