AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HTPC that hooks to my Onkyo 805 by HDMI from an HD2600XT. When I play music, or video through media center the subwoofer doesnt seem to be working as its suppose to be. It does output some bass but not as much as it would if you were watching a DVD or regular TV. Is there a setting or something that I'm missing?

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctark /forum/post/14263884

I have an HTPC that hooks to my Onkyo 805 by HDMI from an HD2600XT. When I play music, or video through media center the subwoofer doesnt seem to be working as its suppose to be. It does output some bass but not as much as it would if you were watching a DVD or regular TV. Is there a setting or something that I'm missing?

Your receiver may only send signals to the sub if it gets x.1 or LFE sound. Some receivers you can set up to send low frequencies to the sub, regardless of signal.

If you have DTS connect it should mix the bass for you so the receiver sees it as .1 .

Teac

·
Registered
388 Posts
HDMI is just zeros and ones. It should perform the same. Also, make sure that your receiver is lighting up all the channels. Your software may be 'deleting' the .1 channel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My software? Would that be MCE? The files i play most are either xvid or mkv files. I dont see where I could make sure its doing the .1

As i said though it does make some sound. Its just not making enough as it should compared to all of my other equipment

·
Registered
498 Posts
I can't recall the thread or reason off hand right now but for some reason its possible that the LFE channel is turned down lower compared to the other channels coming out of the HTPC over HDMI. The solution is to increase the LFE channel, in the X-fi controller you there is a button to click to toggle +15db to the LFE.

·
Registered
388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctark /forum/post/14265659

My software? Would that be MCE? The files i play most are either xvid or mkv files. I dont see where I could make sure its doing the .1

As i said though it does make some sound. Its just not making enough as it should compared to all of my other equipment

You are comparing completely different sources. Does a DVD played directly in the HTPC sound the same as the same DVD played from a stand-alone player?

The digital content of Xvid and mkv files could have all kinds of nasty things done to the audio stream (ie compession). Compressing an 8GB MPEG2 DVD into a 2GB Xvid is going to eliminate some data. Check how many channels are coming out of the Xvid, that could potentially mean that the .1 is gone. Also check what the bitrate for audio is. You should never expect something that was compressed once and than compressed in a different way to hold up well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sometimes when people convert to xvid they also convert the 5.1 sound to stereo (2 channel). That would kill your sound quality.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that isnt the problem and here is why. When I go through the PS3 the audio is fine from my MP3 and movie files. There is something causing this I'm just not sure if its the software or its a limitation in the hardware. Also some of the MKV files i have use DTS audio and the bitrates are perfectly fine. Bad quality or not there should be more bass coming out of the subwoofer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts