Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm building a HT room by knocking down a wall between 2 unused bedrooms in my house and converting them to the HT room. The problem I have is that the back wall of the HT (screen on opposite wall) is a brick veneer wall that joins onto my neighbours bedroom. My neighbours are actually family so I have some leeway in regards to sound, but I want to sound proof that wall as much as possible to stop sound leaking through.

What I plan on doing is bulding a false wall in front of the brick veneer (probably about a couple of inches away from to leave an air gap) made from some home threatre insulation that an Australian company sells (called Boral CinemaZoen - would post link but not allowed too untill I've made 5 posts
). The wall will basically be made up of 1 sheet thickness of the soundproofing gyprock, timber frame with the soundproofing insulation then another 2 or 3 sheet thickness of soundproofing gyprock attached to the frame using resiliant channel.

My question is, is this going to be enough to block the sound out from the neighbours?

My room layout will be 6m x 3.8m x 2.4m high (or - for you guys that refuse to use the metric system, 19.6 feet x 12.5 feet x 7.8 feet high
). Attached is a layout of my current and proposed setup.

Thanks,

Eleron

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I lived in a townhouse before with a common wall..which was actually two 2x4 (inches) walls separated by a few inches of space (normal thing the builder did). It worked well for most "normal" sounds/frequencies. i.e. voices (people/TVs). Subwoofer sound was another issues. The neighbors heard/felt it because those low freq sounds travel through solids. In your / my case the double wall probably helped but that sound would be through the floor/sidewalls/ceiling where they are still directly connected to the neighbors.

My only suggestion to help is a floating floor..at least for the sub. The other obvious one is a room within a room idea. Sorry not much help from me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.