AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a couple searches and couldn't find anything specifically about this.

I'm preparing to wire my HT/family room and am wondering about what issues I would create if instead of using in-room speakers, I used closed back in-wall speakers.

I'm a member of a couple DIY speaker forums and my intention would be to find a model that is suitable for this application and build the speakers myself.

I'm guessing that by doing this I would significantly delete the efforts invested in GG/DD by coupling my speakers to my wall studs and having big holes in my drywall.

Anyone care to comment?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Look at on-walls too for a compromise between the two here.

I have been selling people on the JBL on-walls left and right lately. The studio series really kick ass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With both in-wall and on-wall, aren't you creating a physical connection between the resonance of the actual speaker and the wall that we're trying so hard to de-couple?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
At least with on wall your only talking about a rather loose connection with one screw and it's on the inside of the double drywall.

I really don't have opinion on this one way or the other. All solutions are needed to please everybody. On-wall is getting more and more popular with installations in existing rooms, or I percieve that because I am seeing it more and more at least. I have no hard facts about sales numbers or popularity.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Do what John suggests. Go with on-walls, as these will give you superior sound isolation.

Regards,

Terry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts