Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

This thread concerns only Delta 410, 1010LT and 1010. I don't know if the problem exists with the Revo.

I have now a HTPC based on XP (WinMe before), so I give a trial to the Maudio 5.10.00.0031 wdm driver (I have a delta 1010). I have encoded a small 3 second ac3 file with simultaneously :

1000 Hz -20dBFS on FL FR C SL SR

80 Hz -20dBFS on LFE

So all channel have the SAME level. Dialogue normalization is encoded at -31dB (thus no attenuation should be done by the decoder during the decoding process).

The bass managment setup is given in the snapshot "Bass Management 5.10.00.0031.png" :

- no filtering

- no reroute

==> LFE +10dB ON

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tested v5.10.00.0029 driver yesterday.

I recommend this new version because some bugs have been solved (see below).

First, here is the peak meters view with bass managment OFF.

==> All is CORRECT. You can see each -20 dBFS signals on each channel.

So now we know that the audio levels encoded on the ac3 are correct.

Emmanuel

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
v5.10.00.0029 and Bass Managment ON

- no filtering

- no reroute

==> LFE +10dB OFF LFE channel level is totaly WRONG with Bass Managment ON

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Center reroute :

===========

Some obvious math : if FL, FR and C play A level, each give 20 log A decibels.

When C is reroute, FL and FR must play A + A/2

X = 20 log (A + A/2) = 20 log (3A / 2) = 20 log A + 20 log 3/2 = 20 log A + 3.52dB

In the ac3, 20 log A = -20 dBFS. Thus FL and FR should play at -16.48 dB.

It is difficult to see exactly the FL and FR levels on the peak meters, but it seems more closed to -15dB than -16.48 dB

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LFE Reroute :

==========

of course totaly wrong because LFE level is already wrong.

I have also to test bass redirection on the sub channel. Result tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
These are great tests! I experience the same type of thing on my system. It is a shame because I don't have a center channel and want to route LFE to the mains, but getting the bass right is basically impossible.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Emmanuel,

Just talked with a tech manager at M Audio about this bass problem and have sent a link to this thread for use by the new programmer.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pultzar
Can anybody confirm if these problems also exist with the Revo?
Yes it does! Just received a call from M Audio to discuss this problem (because they did receive all 7 emails as stated above).

·
Registered
888 Posts
While he's at it, the new programmer might want to take a look at the Sonica Theater's behaviour under similar circumstances, something funny going on with that too, at least in 6.1 and 7.1 mode switching between bass mgmt on and off.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Filtering Test

==============

Encoded C level : 30Hz at -20 dBFS

The filters implemented in the Delta Bass Managment are -12 dB/oct.

- With Crossover freq. set to 60 Hz the signal should be attenuated by 12dB (30 Hz is one octave below 60 Hz) and the C level should be -32 dBFS

- With Crossover freq. set to 120 Hz the signal should be attenuated by 24dB (30 Hz is two octaves below 120 Hz) and the C level should be -44 dBFS.

These two values are theorical asymptotic values. Real values are a little smaller.

The C levels after filtering in both cases seem "correct" because they are closed to -33 and -48dB.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.