AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a self built computer that I am using as a HTPC. For Christmas I received a Samsung HTIB. I have the PC connected to the receiver through optical. DVI to my TV. My problem is no matter what video I watch or TV through media center or recorded TV the sound lags behind. It is good for about the first half hour the it slowly gets worse after about a hour it is really noticeable. hour and a half unbearable maybe 3/4 a second or full second off. I am using built in realtek 5.1 HD sound card. My two thoughts on this is one the sound card cannot keep up with computer or two the receiver cannot decode sound fast enough. I am new to surround sound/receivers. I have tried AC3 filter,S/Pdiffer,FFDshow. I don't know if I have the setting correct to make it work though. I have also tried removing them or setting them up to allow pass through with the optical. If it is the receiver can I make my PC decode the sound and my receiver only output or vice versa. I do not meed my PC as a DVD player as samsung has built in. 80% of time TV (live and recorded) through media center sometimes movies from internet. Any help or suggestions. I have been looking for over a week.

amd x64 dual core 5000

Gigabyte GA-M57sli S4 Motherboard

3 GB RAM

Nvidia 7900 GS

onboard realtek hd audio optical out

Latest drivers for everything

vista 32bit (tried 64bit same problems)

Samsung HT-x70 HTIB (WII using the rear RCA Audio jacks, need to use optical for PC)

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
What happens if you watch a recorded program with Media Player instead of Media Center?

What happens if you play a DVD using your DVD player software, and not MC?

When you updated the RealTek drivers did you get them from MOBO manufacturer's Web site?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1/2 hour recorded tv started to fall behind the video jumped and audio caught back up happened about 10 minuted. MOBO drivers, but tried RealTek drivers and seem same. I don't watch DVDs with computer used Samsung for it I will try DVD with Media player though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not have this problem before the HTIB, but I had mini jack to RCA for sound to my TV. So I am not sure if it is the optical that is causing the problem. Currently watching a movie with trial WinDVD and almost completely through it and absolutely no sound lag at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK here is where I am at. WinDVD played audio with no lag. Vista Media Center continues to have lag issues. Growing over time. A reset fixes the problem but it come back in less then 1/2 hour. I watched a .avi file and have the same problem. I have tried both Xvid and Divx. What is odd is that once the sound lags such as in MC the issue carries over. I had TV on and it was close to a second off, and when I switched to an .avi movie the lag is there from the beginning. If I restart the .avi file is on for a while then the lag carries over to TV or recorded TV. I am stumped with the lag carryover.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Again I ask you to record a program with MC and then play it back with Media Player and see if you get a lag. If you do not then the problem is with the MPEG2 decoder you are using with MC?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Walford:

I played back a recorded tv show with media player and about every 10 minutes there would be about a 1 or 2 second gap with no sound but sound stayed in sync

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update to my problem with a growing sound lag problem.

Any sound that my PC processes has a growing lagging problem. This includes Itunes, Media Player, Media Player Classic, Media Center and mixcraft audio editing software.

The sound starts out OK, but as time increases so does the lag. Fast forwarding jumping ahead or moving around in a file with audio makes the problem worse. The ONLY solution I have been able to find is to mute the SYSTEM volume. I notice that the sound will play for a bit depending on how far behind it is and then stop. After a quick mute things are OK. If I am watching a football game I will have to do it every half hour or so ( i have learned to live with it). If I am watching a recorded show and fast forward commercials I have to do it every other commercial break. Itunes lags after a song or two.

I do not have HD cable TV, just a cable box into the TV card

It almost seems to me as the sound card cannot process fast enough to keep up, but I am not sure. IF it is the sound card can anyone recommend a good sound card. Something that has 5.1 support and is not $200

I have FFShow and tried "reccomended" setting, but I don't know what most of it means. I don't want to use pass through either. I want the computer to process 5.1 and receiver to distribute to the speakers (or am I wrong on this)

Any help would be much appreciated. It is becoming a real head scratcher.

My computer is AMD dual core - GeForce 7600 - 3 GB Ram - Hauppauge hvr-1600 on board Realtek HD 5.1 sound Optical sound to Samsung HTIB receiver

1 - 9 of 9 Posts