AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's finally happening it looks like my basement (man-cave) is becoming a reality.

I'm putting together all of the plans. I have HVAC ducts in an exposed basement ceiling that run parallel with the floor joist. I am going to tape into those for heat registers. How can I mitigate the sound travel up the ducts into the registers going upstairs?

Thanks,
JOe K.

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
A very low airflow system might be achieved with a variable speed blower motor as well.

In my next design I am thinking that it might be interesting to build a setup with around 8 registers in the room which are hidden behind the perforated aluminum "acoustically transparent" plates along with the speakers. This way the registers actually can be left open with no louvers.

Diffusing the airflow among more registers seems to work pretty well in my current run which has 4 registers.

For the return air vent, I am going to get more creative this time in terms of sound / wind noise control. Perhaps have 4 return air ducts in the room hidden behind the AT wall which meet up outside the room.

Also, keeping the actual AC unit itself as far away as possible from theater.

For soundproofing.... was considering building the room into the side of a mountain. Perhaps it could be called the NORAD build.

Reactions: tjcinnamon

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Novel idea on the split system out of my budget though. What I think I'm going to do, is have dedicated registers off the supply line with acoustic flex and NOT tap into the registers that go upstairs. Those upstairs ducts will then be wrapped and have denim insulation around them with drywall on channels below.

Reactions: mtbdudex
1 - 6 of 6 Posts