AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buddy of mine has a problem he has a 5.1 powered system that has 2 rca(white/red) cable for each input so LS=2 RS=2 FR=2 FL=2 Center=2 Sub=2 total of 12 audio connections. here is the problem he doesnt have a receiver so could i just build a sound mixer to take all 12 connections and out one connection and plug that into his tv? here is a drawing, just double the connections avsforum.com/photopost/data/2376339/c/c3/c36d2760_MagicBox dot png

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
What you'd get that way is just stereo with one speaker getting a mono mix. That's nothing like the real multi-channel sound coming from TV, disc or streaming. Denon's zone 2 is usually a speaker output, so there would also need to be a box to adapt that to line level. Seems like a whole lot of trouble, but if that's what you want....

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinquishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you'd get that way is just stereo with one speaker getting a mono mix. That's nothing like the real multi-channel sound coming from TV, disc or streaming. Denon's zone 2 is usually a speaker output, so there would also need to be a box to adapt that to line level. Seems like a whole lot of trouble, but if that's what you want....

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinquishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
so all my speakers would be outputting same source correct? meaning sound would be coming from every channel but there would be to distinction from left from right and so forth.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
so all my speakers would be outputting same source correct? meaning sound would be coming from every channel but there would be to distinction from left from right and so forth.
Stereo implies separate left and right, so you'd be getting that. But no more than that. Is that what you want?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
a mixer with enough separate outputs will be more expensive than a receiver, probably, even if you are comfortable wetting up and using aux sends, etc, as separate outputs. Cheap mixers have, typically, obvious 4 channels of outputs (left and right mains, left and right monitor).

But a mixer is not necessary, probably, if you just want to recreate the stereo mix in a bunch of different channels so you can have lots of meaningless FR cancellation. Y cables will do it just fine. one output to two inputs per Y cable. You can use a second Y cable to branch off a side of a Y cable to get to 3 separate sends per preamp output. Likely, but no guarantees, that the much lower input impedance the preamp output "sees" from the multiple inputs in parallel will impose only insignificant FR anomalies, if any . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts