AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my first A/V receiver and have mainly been watching DVD's (after my first DTS/DD experience, I watch them w/ every free minute!) I am having a party this weekend, and want to impress my friends w/ some great sounding music. What are the best sound modes for audio?

I havn't had a chance to experiment yet, but so far I think I prefer to listen to CD's in Circle Surround, not PLII Music.

I am curious as to what sound mode the rest of you audiophiles use when listening to music.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
1. Straight 2 Ch no surround

2. EARS - Electronic Ambient Recovery System (NAD's proprietary "surround" mode)

I dislike the million type of surround modes which IMO maul the music / sound. I have a dedicated 2 Ch sound system so I kind of cheat.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
On the Meridian processor,

Trifield mode. Not necessiarly a surround mode, but a front channel enhancement mode. Makes everything else sound like crap. Even if you turn the surround speakers off, it will sound better than straight-through 2ch.

You could see many reviews of Meridian processors out there, they mostly use Trifield on most of their 2ch sources.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your receiver has 5 or 7 channel stereo mode, try that. Pink Floyds "Welcome to the Machine" on my Denon 4802 in 7 channel stereo mode sounds so good it makes me laugh (hard to explain).

cryppie

·
Registered
113 Posts
I recently bought (3) DVD-Audio discs, Foreigner, The Eagles-Hotel California, and the Doobie Brothers-The Captain and Me. If you don't have a DVD_Audio player these disc's also have at least a Dolby Digital track and som have a DTS track, both of which are very impressive. There are also many DTS-CD's out there. The only thing is there still hard to find, I got mine at Media Play. Give it a try.

Howard H

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.