AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a nagging problem with my new (4wks) HTPC build. Quite often when I "turn on" the HTPC there is no sound. To fix the issue I have to either reboot the HTPC and/or unplug the TV.

My HTPC is built on a Gigabyte 785GMT UD2H board, and I use HDMI connected to Samsung LN40A630 LCD TV.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix? Could it be something with my power settings?

Another thing I am unsure about, especially with AMD, is when to use drivers from motherboard site (Gigabyte, etc) versus getting drivers (Chipset,video,sound) from "AMD" website...not sure if this would help fix?

thanks very much for any help!

Chuga

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi..any new ideas on this? I still have the same issue.

Usually when I turn on the TV and "wake up" my HTPC there will be no sound. I have to reboot.

I have read on these forums about a "HDMI Handshake" issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Running the current "F7" bios for my motherboard. Running 10.2 ATI drivers...thinking of trying 10.3.

thanks

Chuga

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
How much time do you let pass before you turn on the PC? Sometimes the TV needs to complete a power on cycle before it can accept a HDMI handshake. If you TV has multiple HDMI inputs, have you tried different inputs?

If you want a hardware solution, the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus works pretty good, from what I've read. It usually fixes handshake issues. It's $129 on the Gefen website, but you can find it for under $100 from other retailers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a samsung LCD (LN40A630), and am using HDMI 1. I have not tried switching HDMI inputs, as a DVD player is on HDMI 2. (but I could switch them around if that would help).

I was not sure if this was a HTPC issue (harware-motherboard, etc or a software-ati drivers, etc) or something with my samsung TV.

I see this happen within 24hrs. For example...watch TV one night and turn it on the next evening to watch TV and no sound.

thanks for the help,

chuga

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'd try a different HDMI input to see if that makes any difference. If you read some of the handshake threads, you'll see that some TVs prefer PC input on a certain HDMI input. Check your manual to see if anything is mentioned in there about it.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have had this issue as well and I think I have the same board. I never figured it out. I did reinstall everything recently and have not had it do it lately. Maybe its a graphics driver thing? I use hdmi as well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have the same issue but with a Asus m3a78-EM 780G motherboard. I'm pretty sure it's a ATI driver issue (crappy ATI Drivers!). In my case the only work-around is to switch to any other source then go back to the HDMI source and the sound is restored.

In my case I got better performance using the Motherboard site's drivers.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So far I have not had this happen on this build and I am using all the latest drivers for everything. Maybe they fixed it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you start off using the 10.3 drivers? I am still on 10.2

never sure which is better....motherboard (gigabyte) drivers or "newest" ones from ATI.

thanks,

Chuga

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 /forum/post/18395618

I have the same issue but with a Asus m3a78-EM 780G motherboard. I'm pretty sure it's a ATI driver issue (crappy ATI Drivers!). In my case the only work-around is to switch to any other source then go back to the HDMI source and the sound is restored.

In my case I got better performance using the Motherboard site's drivers.

Have the same board, no problems with ATI drivers.

Though I have a 5750 hooked up, not using the onboard 3200.

Its definitely a hand-shaking issue. Switching inputs is the easiest thing, two clicks on a remote is not a big deal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had this problem as well, what I did was originally was just using the Catalyst drivers for my ATI 4550

Updated to use the latest Realtek drivers for HDMI sound and all has been good since!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for something like Realtek drivers do you get the newest ones from "realtek" site? or do you get the ones from the Gigabyte motherboard site?

thanks

chuga

1 - 13 of 13 Posts