AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm all ready to purchase a 50" plasma.

Today, I bought a long enough digital cable to test the sound from the Scientific America digital cable box (Time Warner) audio out going to my digital surround processor.

Although most of the channels sound great, there's no sound from the network stations (ABC,NBC,CBS).

Does this mean that these stations are not being broadcast digitally? If so, do I need to have a separate analog setup to listen to these stations? I was really hoping to simplify the setup without having to purchase a separate dedicated speaker system for the plasma.

Thanks

AJ

· Registered
2,814 Posts
Ajlift:

I think this might get more attention in another forum, possibly home theater.

First, I recommend you check to make sure that all channels are producing a digital audio signal. With the cable system where I am, a lot of channels are analog, not digital. Analog channels produce analog audio and digital channels produce digital audio. If this is the case where you are, then you must make sure your receiver has both digital and analog inputs from your cable box. There may also be an issue with switching between the 2 when you change channels (i.e. going from an analog audio channel to a digital one or vice versa). Some equipment can recognize the difference and automatically switch between the 2 inputs, and some can’t.

Have you decided which plasma you want to buy yet?

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim

I will have to run both analog and digital. Unfortunately, my processor won't recognize which and I'll have to try the digital first, and manually switch to the analog connection if there's no sound. (Sort of a pain while channel surfing).

I'm definitely leaning towards the Pio 503.

Tanks again...AJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.