AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm just missing it....I got my HLN467 yesterday and definitely like it so far but I'm still working out the setup quirks typical of all models.

Perhaps there really is no way to do this, but from my old Pana ct-34wx50 directview, I was about to OUTPUT the TV Audio to my Sterero (via rca inputs)...the TV was getting a signal from cable. I cannot find a way to do this on my 467....that is, to get the sound to my stereo for TV mode without going through a device (I have no settop box and prefer to bypass the VCR).

2nd Observation...the old tv (and a different one we used during the several week interim which is a little 20") had the hookup whereby the cable went to VHS and then from the VCR's output to the input on the TV.

The result was a VERY UNWATCHABLE picture. I tried it both with and without passthrough through a surge noise limiter. It was worse with the surge thing. The only way I got it was via direct connection. Only that is a strong enough signal. Our signals have already been verified somewhat recently w/r to the strength.

Thoughts?

I still need to get signal to the VCR but am not sure if a splitter will lower it too much...ditto for pass-thru from the TV.

So far, that's the one thing that is a definite concern...the pass-thru. The sound output will be a disappointment if indeed they didn't bother to put two little audio output jacks on there, but at least that's a concern only until boxes that are worthwhile (ie. have HD) come along, hopefully in a year or so. DVD sound output works fine, of course (digital optical).

Ross

·
Registered
155 Posts
For the sound output issue, I believe you want to use the audio jacks for "Monitor Out" to your stereo.

As for going through the VCR to your TV - I use a splitter, one to my TWC PVR and the other to an HD cable box, and did not notice any degradation. If your feed is OK to begin with I think you'd be safe in doing this. Are you sure you've set your VCR to "TV" rather than "VCR" - that is, you're bypassing the VCR tuner?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep...bypassing thru the tv works, but the opposite is not true (whereas I used to go thru the vcr first). But it definitely works well this way.

Ross

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.