AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,


This is my first post here, thanks for reading. I have the Onlyo HTIB and the Samsung telly. My current setup is: Xbox in to receiver, receiver out to TV. My problem is, I can play the videos on my PC via the Xbox (media center) and the sound comes from the HTIB speakers. When I right click files on the PC, and choose play to TV, the sound comes from the TV speakers. I looked for an audio out port on the TV, and there is one. I can connect it to the aux input of the receiver and the sound comes through the right speakers.


However, the current solution is clumsy, as in, the wire looks weird when plugged in (because the aux connection is on the front face). Plus, I plug my phone into the aux sometimes, so I'd rather not be switching cables. The back of the receiver does not have another 3.5mm port. What's the most elegant solution here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parikramatic /forum/post/20875343


Hello Forum,


This is my first post here, thanks for reading. I have the Onlyo HTIB and the Samsung telly. My current setup is: Xbox in to receiver, receiver out to TV. My problem is, I can play the videos on my PC via the Xbox (media center) and the sound comes from the HTIB speakers. When I right click files on the PC, and choose play to TV, the sound comes from the TV speakers. I looked for an audio out port on the TV, and there is one. I can connect it to the aux input of the receiver and the sound comes through the right speakers.


However, the current solution is clumsy, as in, the wire looks weird when plugged in (because the aux connection is on the front face). Plus, I plug my phone into the aux sometimes, so I'd rather not be switching cables. The back of the receiver does not have another 3.5mm port. What's the most elegant solution here?

Does your Samsung have an optical output and HDMI inputs? If your receiver has the same then it's easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the TV does have HDMI inputs, that's how I'm using it right now. There are two 3.5mm ports on the TV: one says "Digital Audio Out (Optical)" and the other says "Audio Out". The latter works with the aux input on my receiver, the former doesn't. The receiver does not have any other 3.5mm ports other than the aux at the front. Where would the wire from the Optical Output even go? :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parikramatic /forum/post/20877546


Yes the TV does have HDMI inputs, that's how I'm using it right now. There are two 3.5mm ports on the TV: one says "Digital Audio Out (Optical)" and the other says "Audio Out". The latter works with the aux input on my receiver, the former doesn't. The receiver does not have any other 3.5mm ports other than the aux at the front. Where would the wire from the Optical Output even go? :/

Hi parikramatic, what model tv is it? Connect an optical cable from tv "Digital Audio Out" port to receiver "TV/CD" (2) port.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I checked the
of my Onkyo HT-S3300[/URL] and it looks like analog (RCA). There's also an orange coaxial input. Here's
current setup[/URL] . The wire will eventually wrap around the TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parikramatic /forum/post/20878006


Thanks JChin, it's a Samsung UN55C7000. Did you mean an optical cable like this one?
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-D...4567432&sr=1-1

Your receiver has optical inputs so just get an optical (toslink) cable like the Amazon one. That goes from the optical output on the Samsung to the optical (digital) input on the Onkyo. Your other devices are connected via HDMI to the Onkyo and then connect the Onkyo via HDMI out to an HDMI input on the Samsung. Turn off the speakers on the tv and make whatever setting change you need too to tell the Samsung where to send the audio. All audio and video will got thru the HDMI cables to the Onkyo and then out to the Samsung. The sound will be played thru the receiver and the video thru the tv. The optical out will send whatever audio is connected directly to the tv (like OTA/cable tv, etc). However, the optical out can only handle Dolby 5.1, not lossless if that's a concern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parikramatic /forum/post/20878006


Thanks JChin, it's a Samsung UN55C7000. Did you mean an optical cable like this one?
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-D...4567432&sr=1-1

Oh, duh... should have read the title, sorry.


Your tv should have came with an Optical Adaptor (3.5mm to optical) cable . Connect an optical cable ( like the one from Amazon ) to the optical adaptor (which is connected to tv "Digital Audio Out") and the other end to receiver "TV/CD" (2) input port (which is just above the Coaxial input port). On the receiver select "TV/CD" input and you may have to go into Tv AnyNet+ menu and activate "AnyNet+" and "Receiver".


Another option to transfer sound from tv to receiver is to use HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) since both unit support this feature and you already have a HDMI cable connected (but make sure its connected to tv HDMI-2 port).

Go into receiver HDMI Setup menu and turn "HDMI Control (RIHD)" and "ARC" to On. Then go into Tv AnyNet+ menu and turn "AnyNet+" and "Receiver" to On.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for replying, Otto Pylot & Jchin.


JChin, I went with your second option since it was the only one that didn't involve me buying any additional cables :p Anyway, I have since figured out what ARC is (I knew buying ARC support would pay off someday!). So far, I can control the TV and receiver volume with either remote and I'm loving it. There's just one tiny problem:


Earlier, when I was connecting the TV audio out to the AUX input of the receiver, I was able to get sound out of all five speakers using the 'Stereo' + 'Dolby Pro Logic II' option. I believe it interpolates the 2.1 to 5.1 to accomplish this. Now with the ARC, I can only hear two speakers when I switch to the TV/CD input on the receiver. Is there any chance I get all five speakers to work with this configuration?


Again, thanks for all the help. You guys are the best
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top