AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would to run some problems past you guys.


I have an Onkyo TX-SR803, and it's been giving me fits lately.


The sound cuts out and I have to switch inputs and/or turn the unit off then back on...and MAYBE, it gradually cuts back in, over the course of several minutes...sputtering back in. In general, when first attempting to watch something for the day (or for a while), there will be no sound. Attempting to turn the unit off then on, or just flipping channels will eventually cause sound to come in spurts until it is gradually restored...maybe. When it is having problems, the inputs read weird settings on the display...meaning, say Video 2 SHOULD be saying "Dolby"...instead, it will read "Stereo All CH". Or maybe the CD input will say "Direct" when it should say "Stereo All Ch". It will randomly enable the Zone 2 speakers, even though I have never had Zone 2 enabled.


I removed all connections except the optical from the TV (into Opt1), and the front two speakers. The problems still persist.


I bought it from Circuit City a number of years ago, and since I'm pretty sure it's a 2005 model, I'm pretty sure it's no longer under warranty. I had a friend that is fairly knowledgeable with electronics take a look at it and he could not find any glaringly obvious problems.


I tried setting it back to factory defaults per: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243110 , but that didn't seem to solve any problems.


I have a backup Panasonic reciever that I am going to hook back up, but in the meantime, I am unsure of what to do with the Onkyo...whether it will be worth my time to attempt to get it repaired. According to the Onkyo USA website, the only available "service center" is somewhere in Mi. However, there is a "dealer" fairly close to me in New Orleans. I have not contacted them yet to see if they in fact repair.


Does anybody have any insight on this model and whether or not I should persue getting it fixed...or even if there is something simple I have overlooked?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I disconnected and removed the Onkyo and re-installed my older Panasonic SA-HE100. All components are working...although I have less TOSlink capability that I would like.


I think this goes a long way to say the problem was internal to the Onkyo.


Still don't know if its worth my time to attempt to get it repaired or just start searching for a new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
i just had this happen to my reciever as well , unplugged it for 2 hrs plugged it in and its working agian , turned it off for an hour to do dinner , came back and its agian got no audio ,if i pluggin headphons i can hear the fm radio when set to tuner but with volume cranked all the way up its verry faint.

i am going out tomorrow to buy the txnr609


and lay my my poor 803 to rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I had the same problem happen to my 803 a few months ago. Ended up buying a 608 to replace it. The 803 served me well though... it will be missed. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Same thing happened to me last night - but there were some power surges due to a storm...


Interesting that this seems to be a common issue. I've had Onkyo receivers since the mid 80s when I was in middle school. My dad wanted to get me something that would last and sprange for a TX-27 that's still working fine. Same with three other Onkyos in our stable, so I hate that this one won't be following my usual mantra... "Onkyos never die, they just move to lesser rooms."


I'm assuming the fix is more than it's worth... I checked all of the visible fuses, so I guess I have a nice THX certified boat anchor now.



Does anyone have a good source for parts? I would try throwing some parts at it if I was reasonably sure it would fix my problem and wasn't spending more than $100 or so for them.


Heath
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
A few months ago, i got this same intermittent muting problem on my onkyo tx-sr703. It is getting worse and worse. now, most of the time it does not give out any sound. i found a tx-sr803 service manual on-line, which is very similar to tx-sr703. i traced the problem to the microprocessor which incorrectly outputs 2 mute signals to mute all speakers even after full reset. I am stuck at this point. i think i can do some surgical solder work to bypass the mute signals from the microprocessor but I am holding off this for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts

First thought to me is bad solder and/or ground connections. Fits the exact pattern of some other brands I've worked on. When I worked for CC in the mid 90's, we had fits with S0ny's with similar problems. I remember one model that we actually had to pull the whole front panel apart to solder in an extra ground wire! Got so bad at times we used to other brands with bad solder connections as having 'Bad S0ny'.

  Anyway, might in fact be component failure, but I'd spend at least an hour though with a soldering iron & some solder "...and then troubleshoot it" - especially if I was going to just start throwing parts at it. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_G-man  /t/1338374/sound-problems-with-onkyo-tx-sr803#post_20506874


I would to run some problems past you guys.


I have an Onkyo TX-SR803, and it's been giving me fits lately.


The sound cuts out and I have to switch inputs and/or turn the unit off then back on...and MAYBE, it gradually cuts back in, over the course of several minutes...sputtering back in. In general, when first attempting to watch something for the day (or for a while), there will be no sound. Attempting to turn the unit off then on, or just flipping channels will eventually cause sound to come in spurts until it is gradually restored...maybe. When it is having problems, the inputs read weird settings on the display...meaning, say Video 2 SHOULD be saying "Dolby"...instead, it will read "Stereo All CH". Or maybe the CD input will say "Direct" when it should say "Stereo All Ch". It will randomly enable the Zone 2 speakers, even though I have never had Zone 2 enabled.


I removed all connections except the optical from the TV (into Opt1), and the front two speakers. The problems still persist.


I bought it from Circuit City a number of years ago, and since I'm pretty sure it's a 2005 model, I'm pretty sure it's no longer under warranty. I had a friend that is fairly knowledgeable with electronics take a look at it and he could not find any glaringly obvious problems.


I tried setting it back to factory defaults per: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243110 , but that didn't seem to solve any problems.


I have a backup Panasonic reciever that I am going to hook back up, but in the meantime, I am unsure of what to do with the Onkyo...whether it will be worth my time to attempt to get it repaired. According to the Onkyo USA website, the only available "service center" is somewhere in Mi. However, there is a "dealer" fairly close to me in New Orleans. I have not contacted them yet to see if they in fact repair.


Does anybody have any insight on this model and whether or not I should persue getting it fixed...or even if there is something simple I have overlooked?
 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme  /t/1338374/sound-problems-with-onkyo-tx-sr803#post_20515900


i just had this happen to my reciever as well , unplugged it for 2 hrs plugged it in and its working agian , turned it off for an hour to do dinner , came back and its agian got no audio ,if i pluggin headphons i can hear the fm radio when set to tuner but with volume cranked all the way up its verry faint.

i am going out tomorrow to buy the txnr609


and lay my my poor 803 to rest.
 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickendavis  /t/1338374/sound-problems-with-onkyo-tx-sr803#post_20516320


I had the same problem happen to my 803 a few months ago. Ended up buying a 608 to replace it. The 803 served me well though... it will be missed. :p
 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRoberts  /t/1338374/sound-problems-with-onkyo-tx-sr803#post_20522433


Same thing happened to me last night - but there were some power surges due to a storm...


Interesting that this seems to be a common issue. I've had Onkyo receivers since the mid 80s when I was in middle school. My dad wanted to get me something that would last and sprange for a TX-27 that's still working fine. Same with three other Onkyos in our stable, so I hate that this one won't be following my usual mantra... "Onkyos never die, they just move to lesser rooms."


I'm assuming the fix is more than it's worth... I checked all of the visible fuses, so I guess I have a nice THX certified boat anchor now.



Does anyone have a good source for parts? I would try throwing some parts at it if I was reasonably sure it would fix my problem and wasn't spending more than $100 or so for them.


Heath
 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qboy  /t/1338374/sound-problems-with-onkyo-tx-sr803#post_22953575


A few months ago, i got this same intermittent muting problem on my onkyo tx-sr703. It is getting worse and worse. now, most of the time it does not give out any sound. i found a tx-sr803 service manual on-line, which is very similar to tx-sr703. i traced the problem to the microprocessor which incorrectly outputs 2 mute signals to mute all speakers even after full reset. I am stuck at this point. i think i can do some surgical solder work to bypass the mute signals from the microprocessor but I am holding off this for now.
**Sorry for the double post**

First thought to me is bad solder and/or ground connections. Fits the exact pattern of some other brands I've worked on. When I worked for CC in the mid 90's, we had fits with S0ny's with similar problems. I remember one model that we actually had to pull the whole front panel apart to solder in an extra ground wire! Got so bad at times we used to other brands with bad solder connections as having 'Bad S0ny'. I just got an 803 for a dollar but haven't had time to fire it off yet. I do know it powers up, nothing further.

  Anyway, might in fact be component failure, but if it was mine I'd spend at least an hour though with a soldering iron & some solder "...and then troubleshoot it" - especially if I was going to just start throwing part$ at it. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts

Mine did this as well but I traced it down to a low volt regulator ...Schematic Diagram 2 DSP Section..U03 NADG-8660..part Q193...if anyone has a 803 that they may want to get rid of I would buy it maybe..I like the amp section in the 803 but next time I run cooling fans cuz I believe thats what happen to mine ..I hammer on it HARD ,,no mercy and it took a while before I knew it was getting hot ..I didnt worry about it at first cuz it had the fan inside but then it stared to act up and it would have to sit there on,like it had to warm up and thats exactly what it was doing ..thats how I found out which part was bad ..I spayed air on it and it shut down then I heat it up with a heat gun and BOOM back on...I hope this part is all thats wrong with it cuz the Yamaha I got to replace it is not even up to par for how I like my music..its very clean with Burr-Brown DACs but no where near the power of the 803...   
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top