AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently installed a sony 9000es processor, the sound is much improved over my old processor but it seems the technology might have passed me by even with the 2.1 upgrade. Can someone give me a quick crash coarse 101 on processors and the costs? I know what I buy today is outdated tomorrow but what is the latest and greatest.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Most of the new processors have seven channels, DPL2, DTS EX, DD, and some sort of 5 and 7 channel "stereo." Analog bypass and extensive bass management are also desirable features, along with 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs.

Some of the more popular models on these Forums:

Outlaw 950 $899.00

Rotel RMS 1066 $1600.00

Anthem AVM 20 $2900.00

Integra RDC 7 $4000.00

Lexicon MC1 unknown

Those are MSRP prices. All can be had for less with the exception of the Outlaw, and the Lexicon would have to be purchased used.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. Do you know any of the pros or cons of the sony tae 9000es compared to these models. Most reviews of these other units seem to have a fair amount of negatives. Does any one unit seem to stand above the rest? Also can all of these be upgraded easily?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Power buy? How does this unit rate? Can it be upgraded in the future. Does it have 7.1. I just found the post on AVS . Will this unit work with three citation amps I currently have. I guess I would need to install rear spekers, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Most processors use generic digital bitstream decoding and sound steering, making their only difference in the DAC, bass management, video switching and a barrage of surround modes. I don't even know if any of them cares about their analog section anymore, I can't see the possibility of stuffing 8 decent analog section into a small board.

Some brands custom write their own decoding and steering software, in which they think they could do better than those generic quickie implementations. Some others even seriously attempt to write some good music surround mode that are usable on a daily basis.

A good decoding and steering rewrite make a much bigger difference than the latest 192/24 DACs.

Some company that custom writes their software are

Proceed AVPII $7000?

Lexicon in various flavors, $6k-$12k

Meridian in various flavors, $5k-$25k

Meridian also has some serious music surround mode, good enough that many reviewers leave it on all the time for their 2ch listening. Even though most of the Meridian's is over $5k, a pre-owned 568 could be had for not much more than $4k, and it could be upgraded with many new features in the future (Soon with DVD-A digital direct.) Making it not likely to be obsolete for quite a while (The old 565 was in production for 7 years or so, always upgradable to the latest technology.)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I own the Integra Research RDC-7 and am very pleased with it. They came out with a DTS-ES, PLII upgrade very quickly and I think it was user installed on a CD at a cost of $25 (Someone please correct me if any of these details are off, my unit had the upgrade in it when I purchased it).

I believe there is another upgrade to be released very soon as well (do a search for thread for more details).

My only real complaint is the sub crossover point set at 80Hz and thier customer service reps could be better. The sub crossover point is supposed to be addressed in the upgrade, however, from what I heard the additional crossover points will be higher (which wouldn't help me), however, I don't think anything official has been announced yet so you never know.

The only other complaint I recall other people had was that it looks like a reciever. It certianly doesn't sound like one to me and personally I don't mind the look at all.

I would reccommend comparing it to the others for yourself.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
996 Posts
If the Meridian 568 is too expensive, you could find a used 561 for $3,000 - $3,500. It's upgrade life might not be as long as the 568's will be, but Meridian did update the software for DPL II (for free of course) and even offered a hardware update option last year. It's a great performer for music and movies.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I believe the Primare ( www.sumikoaudio.com ) is $3,500. The Bryston is $4,295 and I believe Classe has one for under $4k as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How would you compare the Lexicon MC 1, at this price or a Lexicon MC12 at 6-8K in this mix? Also what is the term balanced vs unbalanced in regards to and is there a difference in price. Will three citation 7.1 amps do the job with these units?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.