AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there experts:

I have 20x15 already finished home theater in the basement. The problem is, I can't even crank up the volume a bit. The whole room vibrates and people upstairs can hear the music. I am not hearing the clean bass. so, my question is,

1. How can I keep the music in the room?

2. I don't want the music to go thru the ceiling or the walls.

3. I want to hear the deep bass.

So, please guide me from scratch, as I don't have any sound proofing currently in the room.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers.....

RPR.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Good news is that anything is possible. Bad news is that to achieve what you've listed, you need to tear the room apart and start over with either decoupled walls/ceiling and-or clips and hat track for the drywall. Which should be done with double 5/8" with Green Glue in between layers.

All wall and ceiling penetrations will have to be sealed. Can lights will have to be encased in boxes, sealed to the back side of the drywall. Any HVAC vents will need to be redesigned or eliminated or replaced with "dead vents", a dedicated HVAC system or a minii-split unit. The entry door will need to be a super heavy, solid core, fully gasketed, monster (and even that might not be enough mass.

Pass out yet?

Sorry to be the bearer of the news. Its not easy keeping the explosions inside a room.

Spend a month reading the Acoustical Treatment Master Thread and every build thread. You'll get the idea.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,665 Posts
First spend an hour reading the articles at Soundproofingcompany.com.

Bronco is right, to do it right you need to start over. A couple of weeks ago I just hauled two loads of Drywall to the dump for a client that wants it done right. Just finished backer boxes for the ceiling today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts