AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently having a problem with my subwoofer carrying sound through the floor to the room underneath. Even if its turned down all the way you can still hear it. Any CHEAP ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Caleb

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Thick carpeting with a thick rebond pad under it would be the best thing.

Also, put it on 4 sorbothane pads; cheap.

But a subwoofer is going to vibrate a live (wood) floor. Pretty hard to completely eliminate it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yeah if you want to eliminate bass or vibrations from going thru a floor either get rid of your sub, turn it off, or place your HT in a basement with carpet covered concrete floor.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts
The sound waves themselves will transmit no matter what the sub is on. An easy check would be to hold the sub, or have a friend hold it, and go down and listen. Chances are no simple isolation pad or feet will work if you can still hear it whilst somebody is holding the sub off the floor.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voll96  /t/1520129/sound-proofing-floor#post_24416630

I'm currently having a problem with my subwoofer carrying sound through the floor to the room underneath. Even if its turned down all the way you can still hear it. Any CHEAP ideas on how to fix this problem?

The usual way to deal with a situation like this is to have a floating floor of some kind. Something like a slab of concrete with resilient support.

Here's an example:

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/acoust_flooring/duracoustic.htm

Now if you can figure out how to do that on the cheap... ;-)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

The only cheap way to stop sound from your subwoofer going to the floor below is to shut off your subwoofer.  Everything else is going to cost you money, be ineffectual, or both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.