AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My son lives below our home theater, and would like to sound proof the floor. I'm not sure how much of the floor I would have to sound proof, as he says the sub is what bothers him the most!
They have 4'x8'x 1.2" sheets of sound proof material at Home Depot. I was thinking about putting one or more layers under the right, left, center, and sub, to see if that would help?

If anyone has any ideas on how I can sound proof the floor, how much is needed (area of the floor) I would be most grateful!

Thanks, Larry

·
Premium Member
17,089 Posts
...he says the sub is what bothers him the most!
They have 4'x8'x 1.2" sheets of sound proof material at Home Depot. I was thinking about putting one or more layers under the right, left, center, and sub, to see if that would help?
A layer of anything placed on the floor under the speakers will help very little, if at all.

Bass is very hard to contain. It would require a significant rebuilding of your room with isolation between the HT walls, floor and ceiling.

AFAIK, no easy fix, not even an easy 80% solution, other than headphones, maybe switch subs to tactile transducers at night, and/or earplugs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You might think about bass shakers in your seats to simulate bass so that you can turn down the sub volume a bit. Not really the sound-proofing method you were inquiring about, but this might be a very cheap and workable solution.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Hi everyone,

My son lives below our home theater, and would like to sound proof the floor. I'm not sure how much of the floor I would have to sound proof, as he says the sub is what bothers him the most!

If anyone has any ideas on how I can sound proof the floor, how much is needed (area of the floor) I would be most grateful!

Thanks, Larry

Sorry to be deliverer of bad news, addressing floor only will go nothing to solve problem..............sound will flank down through walls. Soundproofing is really an all or nothing proposition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts