AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my 7 years old receiver and I'm narrowing down my list to the Denon 3311. Onkyo 708.

I went to a local Magnolia store to have a side by side test between the Denon 3311 and the Marantz 6005. I just liked the Denon sound better, felt more airy to me even though the marantz is supposed to be better for music.

Magnolia does not carry Onkyo, so couldn't compare.

Has someone had a chance to listen to both the 3311 ( or 3310) and the Onkyo 708? I'm interested mostly in the sound quality (and to a lesser degree to the video quality) rather than the features. Also does the 708 runs hot (looks like the 707 was based on reviews in this forum).

I know the 3311 is quite a more expensive than the 708 at that point, but I may decide to wait until next year to get it on sale if the sound is that much better.

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetoune1 /forum/post/19549322

I need to replace my 7 years old receiver and I'm narrowing down my list to the Denon 3311. Onkyo 708.

I went to a local Magnolia store to have a side by side test between the Denon 3311 and the Marantz 6005. I just liked the Denon sound better, felt more airy to me even though the marantz is supposed to be better for music.

Magnolia does not carry Onkyo, so couldn't compare.

Has someone had a chance to listen to both the 3311 ( or 3310) and the Onkyo 708? I'm interested mostly in the sound quality (and to a lesser degree to the video quality) rather than the features. Also does the 708 runs hot (looks like the 707 was based on reviews in this forum).

I know the 3311 is quite a more expensive than the 708 at that point, but I may decide to wait until next year to get it on sale if the sound is that much better.

Thanks

Pat

3311 is much better than 708. Based on sound quality 3310 is close to 708, but it does not support 3D video.

·
Premium Member
93,193 Posts
Magnolia does indeed sell Onkyo, so perhaps your local store just doesn't carry them or was out of stock. The downside of demoing in a Magnolia is that you aren't able to hear what the Audyssey EQ filtering can for the speakers. As noted above, the 708 is more in line with last year's 3310 as they both use Audyssey MultEQ while the 3311 uses the more advanced version of MultEQ XT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my Magnolia carries Marantz, Denon and Pioneer plus a high end line I can't remember. The guy did tell me that those receivers would most likely sound better in my home as they don;t optimize them in the show room.

I use a SPL meter to setup my speakers, don't know if using Audissey will make my setup better? I use my receiver mostly for DVDs (and soon Bluray) or music, not TV.

Would pioneer 1120 or YAMAHA RX-V1900BL be other choices I should consider? I would like to stay under $600 and the 3311 is not there yet (most likely won;t until the 3312 comes out).

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetoune1
my Magnolia carries Marantz, Denon and Pioneer plus a high end line I can't remember. The guy did tell me that those receivers would most likely sound better in my home as they don;t optimize them in the show room.

I use a SPL meter to setup my speakers, don't know if using Audissey will make my setup better? I use my receiver mostly for DVDs (and soon Bluray) or music, not TV.

Would pioneer 1120 or YAMAHA RX-V1900BL be other choices I should consider? I would like to stay under $600 and the 3311 is not there yet (most likely won;t until the 3312 comes out).
If you use it for music, then 3311 is the only way to go. And yes, Audyssey will likely improve sound of speakers in your room, and well worth money paid for it. If you want to stay under $600, look at used market. 3311 is available for $800 right now, and will unlikely go much more down.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
My Magnolia Store stopped carrying Onkyo because Walmart is now carrying them and Magnolia didn't feel they could state they were a high end store if they were carrying the same brands according to the BB/Magnolia "HT Expert" that was at my house yesterday morning. He said they are now carrying Marantz. This could be why your store does not have them either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.