AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been looking for my new receiver for a while, so far Denon 4308ci and Onkyo TX-nr906 are my top 2 choices. By reading this forum, I believe I have a good understanding of what they can and cannot do. However there is one aspect I can't find much of info, which is how they sound? (ironic, isn't it?) Being in a bit more expensive than average avr, I can't seem to find a local place that can demo both at same time with speakers similar to my B&W 805. So I'd really appreciate your opinion if you had a chance to compare these 2 side by side. I understand we all have different preference and taste. So I'm not asking which one you like better (but the info is welcome too) I'm more interested in their sound characteristic (which one is brighter? laid back? detail? tight bass...etc.) in STEREO MODE. I'm less critical at sound quality when I watch movie. I'm sure I will be happy with either one's sound quality to watch movie. But I do listen to music a lot. So I really need a good sounding amp on top of all bell and whistle. Since B&W is slightly on bright side, I'd prefer a warmer amp to match.

Thanks for any of your opinion

·
Registered
103 Posts
uuu,

I'll be interested to see the responses you get. I auditioned the Denon 3808 side by side against an Integra 7.8 hooked up to some energy floorstanding speakers. I much preferred the Denon for 2 channel (using Nora Jones CD as reference), especially at lower volumes. I found it to be much more refined. However, for HT material, I preferred the Integra. It seems to be more impactful. Of course, we didn't have a Sound Level Meter so I have no idea if the salesperson was pulling one of those demo tricks by turning up the Integra (which he preferred over the Denon BTW).

I'm also down to either the 4308 or 3808 or 906. I'm currently leaning toward the 3808 because of the video/audio switching delays in the 906 and the fact that I prefered the 3808 for 2 channel over the Integra. However, I just found out that you can watch one HDMI source and listen to another on the 3808. FYI, I'll be using either as a pre-pro and to drive rear speakers as I already have external amps.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh, one more thing, you may want to check out Marantz as well. Although I auditioned the Marantz 6003 in a completely different setup, I probably preferred it the most for 2 channel. However, feature wise, I certainly prefer the others you mentioned. Especially considering that the Marantz doesn't apply Audessey to the lossless codecs when processing.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I owned the 905 and 4308 simultaneously. I returned the 905. I have since sold the 4308 and purchased a 5308, which I love. The 4308 was a much more refined piece of audio gear than the 905. I haven't had the 906, but I would guess that the 4308 is probably still the better choice. Unless you are lookiing for a good video processor like the Reon that is included in the 906.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So these reon processors are not found on the Denon 3808 but are in the higher end denons right? Does the 4308 have a reon processor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman1976 /forum/post/15586361

So these reon processors are not found on the Denon 3808 but are in the higher end denons right? Does the 4308 have a reon processor?

No Canman, 4308 is DCDi only.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy mcnasty /forum/post/15585482

expand your choices to the companies that that put stereo sq over bells & whistles - such as nad, rotel, cambridge audio & arcam.

lol....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty /forum/post/15585482

Expand your choices to the companies that that put stereo SQ over bells & whistles - such as NAD, Rotel, Cambridge Audio & Arcam.

Hi Filthy,

Actually, currently I'm using a Sunfire receiver, I also had to purchase it without real audition because at the time no one even has it available in store. It sounds ok, but noise floor is high because its class D amp. and its design on UI (note I didn't say GUI, there is no G at all) /control logic is really lacking. (no separate profiles for different inputs, for its auto turn on feature, it keep amp section on all the time and this is not user selectable) Being in a high-tech company, I can see amp is easier to do, as long as you are willing to throw in better components, you can make a good amp. However doing control section / firmware really take a lot of resources, Which need a bigger market to support it. If you are going to sell 1000 receivers a year, no matter how high-end your are or how much margin you have, you can't afford 100 designers to design / test the software, you have to cut corner somewhere.

In th other hand, as we all can see, mainstream brands tend to cut cost on amp section to keep price down, so its always a choice of which component you see more important, I'm hoping to get a better balance this time. I will check out Marantz receiver as I have always heard people mention it sounds better than other mainstream brands. I just need to be able to find a place to compare them.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuu1234 /forum/post/15587242

Hi Filthy,

Actually, currently I'm using a Sunfire receiver, I also had to purchase it without real audition because at the time no one even has it available in store. It sounds ok, but noise floor is high because its class D amp. and its design on UI (note I didn't say GUI, there is no G at all) /control logic is really lacking. (no separate profiles for different inputs, for its auto turn on feature, it keep amp section on all the time and this is not user selectable) Being in a high-tech company, I can see amp is easier to do, as long as you are willing to throw in better components, you can make a good amp. However doing control section / firmware really take a lot of resources, Which need a bigger market to support it. If you are going to sell 1000 receivers a year, no matter how high-end your are or how much margin you have, you can't afford 100 designers to design / test the software, you have to cut corner somewhere.

In th other hand, as we all can see, mainstream brands tend to cut cost on amp section to keep price down, so its always a choice of which component you see more important, I'm hoping to get a better balance this time. I will check out Marantz receiver as I have always heard people mention it sounds better than other mainstream brands. I just need to be able to find a place to compare them.

You've made my point perfectly clear. I've made the decision to go with an inexpensive AVR as a pre/pro while waiting for better dedicated pre/pros to come to market. Using an external amp (7x125wpc) makes a refurbished $204 AVR sound pretty damn good.

I hadn't heard that the D classs amps are noisy. Maybe thats just a problem in your particular amp?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I think, the 906 / 876 made it beyond the 905 / 875 combo because of better SQ and the new Audyssey DynamicEQ and DynamicVolume.

The German magazine "video" just chose the 906 as the best AVR in the upper mid range, beating the Denon by quite a margin. Add a few thousands bucks to go above and beyond
This is interesting because the 906 is selling right now for a "lot" less than the 4308.

There are mixed feelings about the sound quality of the 4308, some reviewed it on par others below the 906 and overpriced with respect to it.

I would suggest to audition both for yourself and then decide, whatever you like best in terms of features and SQ. It should be your personal decision at the end and no one else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuu1234 /forum/post/15584567

Hi,

I have been looking for my new receiver for a while, so far Denon 4308ci and Onkyo TX-nr906 are my top 2 choices. By reading this forum, I believe I have a good understanding of what they can and cannot do. However there is one aspect I can't find much of info, which is how they sound? (ironic, isn't it?) Being in a bit more expensive than average avr, I can't seem to find a local place that can demo both at same time with speakers similar to my B&W 805. So I'd really appreciate your opinion if you had a chance to compare these 2 side by side. I understand we all have different preference and taste. So I'm not asking which one you like better (but the info is welcome too) I'm more interested in their sound characteristic (which one is brighter? laid back? detail? tight bass...etc.) in STEREO MODE. I'm less critical at sound quality when I watch movie. I'm sure I will be happy with either one's sound quality to watch movie. But I do listen to music a lot. So I really need a good sounding amp on top of all bell and whistle. Since B&W is slightly on bright side, I'd prefer a warmer amp to match.

Thanks for any of your opinion

·
Registered
6,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey /forum/post/15587843

i think, the 906 / 876 made it beyond the 905 / 875 combo because of better sq and the new audyssey dynamiceq and dynamicvolume.

The german magazine "video" just chose the 906 as the best avr in the upper mid range, beating the denon by quite a margin. Add a few thousands bucks to go above and beyond
this is interesting because the 906 is selling right now for a "lot" less than the 4308.

There are mixed feelings about the sound quality of the 4308, some reviewed it on par others below the 906 and overpriced with respect to it.

I would suggest to audition both for yourself and then decide, whatever you like best in terms of features and sq. It should be your personal decision at the end and no one else's.

+1

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey /forum/post/15587843

I think, the 906 / 876 made it beyond the 905 / 875 combo because of better SQ and the new Audyssey DynamicEQ and DynamicVolume.

The German magazine "video" just chose the 906 as the best AVR in the upper mid range, beating the Denon by quite a margin. Add a few thousands bucks to go above and beyond
This is interesting because the 906 is selling right now for a "lot" less than the 4308.

I would suggest to audition both for yourself and then decide, whatever you like best in terms of features and SQ. It should be your personal decision at the end and no one else's.

Can you post a link to this review? I tried to google and didn't find it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisch /forum/post/15585777

uuu,

I'll be interested to see the responses you get. I auditioned the Denon 3808 side by side against an Integra 7.8 hooked up to some energy floorstanding speakers. I much preferred the Denon for 2 channel (using Nora Jones CD as reference), especially at lower volumes. I found it to be much more refined. However, for HT material, I preferred the Integra. It seems to be more impactful. Of course, we didn't have a Sound Level Meter so I have no idea if the salesperson was pulling one of those demo tricks by turning up the Integra (which he preferred over the Denon BTW).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Grisch,

Thanks, this is the info I'm looking for. and kind of confirm my past experience with gears from both company, Denon in general has clean and detail sound, Onkyo can drive speakers effortlessly with more impact. But since my last Onkyo receiver was 12 years ago and I only owned Denon preamp before, I wasn't sure if its the case with 4308 and 906. If they sound like I think how they sound, I probably will like 906's sound better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/15587721

You've made my point perfectly clear. I've made the decision to go with an inexpensive AVR as a pre/pro while waiting for better dedicated pre/pros to come to market. Using an external amp (7x125wpc) makes a refurbished $204 AVR sound pretty damn good.

I hadn't heard that the D classs amps are noisy. Maybe thats just a problem in your particular amp?

Well, even though it makes sense in theory to keep separates because av preamp advance on features all the time while poweramp and speakers last forever. I have found its difficult to find an av preamp with all latest technologies within my price range ($3k for both pre/pro) beside I really don't have much of space in my family room to keep a pre/pro system.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo /forum/post/15588208

+1

I am glade I only paid $1,300.00 for my 885. I have listen to the latest and greatest. Just can't see the difference between this unit and a unit that cost $700.00 more for Dynamic

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuu1234 /forum/post/15591548

Well, even though it makes sense in theory to keep separates because av preamp advance on features all the time while poweramp and speakers last forever. I have found its difficult to find an av preamp with all latest technologies within my price range ($3k for both pre/pro) beside I really don't have much of space in my family room to keep a pre/pro system.

This is the conundrum that many of us face.

What I would like to see is more receivers with a better amplification design & build versus what is IMO, useless video up converting features.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure if this will have any impact on your decision but I was making the exact same choice and purchased the Denon due to features that were important to me. I got an excellent deal with the promotion 6th ave is running right now which included the full Denon warranty. It makes the 4308 much closer in price to the 906. PM me for details if you are interested.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 /forum/post/15638767

I'm not sure if this will have any impact on your decision but I was making the exact same choice and purchased the Denon due to features that were important to me. I got an excellent deal with the promotion 6th ave is running right now which included the full Denon warranty. It makes the 4308 much closer in price to the 906. PM me for details if you are interested.

Denon, Pioneer & Onkyo receivers are on my list of candidates.

I was ready to buy a TX-NR906 last fall, primarily because of its Toroidal transformer and independent power supply design, until I saw Onkyo's pricing for this receiver at their "Shop Onkyo" web-site. Now I can't seem to stomach Shop Onkyo's price difference with their Internet sellers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts