AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently told that nothing compares to the sound of a high end processor like a Krell S1000 compared to your "run of the mill" AVR's

I personally own a Pioneer Elite SC-05.

Do processors really make that much of a ear opening difference?

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
I'd be willing to bet BIG money in a blind shootout.
From all that I've heard and talked to I'm not convinced there is much sonic benefit (if any) once you're in the mid to upper tier receivers going to a high end processor.

There are some definite measurable and audible advantages to upscale processing like Audyssey XT32, Trinnov, etc. Beyond that I haven't been convinced that shelling out 3-5k for a processor is a high value purchase.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I think that once people go to high separates they usually play their material louder because they have amps capable of doing so compared to the run of the mill AVR's but IMO on the Flagship units within reason I rarely can tell the difference.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a fellow tell me he got a used Krell S1000 that he uses strictly for 2ch listening with analog out I think. He said it hands down was a huge improvement in sound quality and highly recommended picking one up.

But then ... he was just one guy.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I think if you find the speakers that sound the best for your budget and power them with an adequate AVR using a good sub and cross it over at 80Hz your 95% there its obtaining that last 5% where money flies out in groves, room treatments, larger amps ,cleaner signal from source and preamp/AVR and the right size shape and room.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk  /t/1475292/sound-quality-depends-on-brand-of-processing#post_23378920

I personally own a Pioneer Elite SC-05. Do processors really make that much of a ear opening difference?

I replaced an Elite SC-05 with an AVR with Audyssey XT32 and (subjectively) it was a major improvement.

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153  /t/1475292/sound-quality-depends-on-brand-of-processing#post_23411391

I replaced an Elite SC-05 with an AVR with Audyssey XT32 and (subjectively) it was a major improvement.

More importantly, XT32 provides a measurable improvement in frequency response across the spectrum. Mike and I were chatting via PM for a while today and my advise to him was simply spend the money where it counts. Look for features that he would value as well as measurable performance improvements.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did a little more research. I think I'm just gonna stick with a good AVR.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The Krell is going to have a significant advantage in having a substantially lower noise floor then any mid range prepro.

The real question here should be, what is your room's noise floor?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk  /t/1475292/sound-quality-depends-on-brand-of-processing#post_23378920

I was recently told that nothing compares to the sound of a high end processor like a Krell S1000 compared to your "run of the mill" AVR's

Seems unlikely because the actual processing in surround processing is usually determined by licensed DSP programming written by the designer of the DSP chip.

IOW the actual code for Dolby processing performed by a DSP chip made by Texas Instrument is a joint project by TI and Dolby. Dolby in particular is likely to be the most demanding of the parties in terms of ensuring the performance of the finished chip. The processing happens in the digital domain so the performance is probably overkill by analog standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd  /t/1475292/sound-quality-depends-on-brand-of-processing#post_23433244

The Krell is going to have a significant advantage in having a substantially lower noise floor then any mid range prepro.

Seems like a false comparison, since mid-range prepro are not the only reasonable thing that the Krell surround processor is likely to be compared to.

Going through the thread, it seems like the surround processor section of a higher-end AVR is the most likely competition.

The story about surround processors is that they are largely implmented by DSPs in the digital domain. Their noise floor is likely to be very low because of some details of implementation that I could get into.
Quote:
The real question here should be, what is your room's noise floor?

Good point. That's likely to be the weak link, regardless.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Sure doesn't feel like a false comparison to me. The OP's question referenced, run of the mill prepros versus something like a Krell. S1000.

And used Krell S1000 hdmi prepros, are at the same price point as many midrange prepros currently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts