Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For example:

Would the quality of sound be that much different between the Denon AVR-5805 receiver and the Anthem D1 pre/pro and P5 amp?

My uncle is fairly educated in home theaters and said to me "the line between receivers and separates is really blurring"

Would most of you agree with this statement?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The receiver or separates I decide to buy will be pushing the Paradigm Signature S8, C5 and ADP surrounds.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It is blurring, but the upgradeability flexibliity offered by separates, especially in that stratospheric price range can be a great advantage. Also the importance you place on 2-channel music. I almost guarantee that the Anthem will simply blow the Denon away on music. On HT, the line is indeed blurry.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main issue I have with Anthem is the D1 processor. There are so many features I need that are currently not available on the D1. I know about their promises to upgrade the D1 but they seem slow. There are other features like RoomEQ that the Anthem will not get.

I will be using this system 70% for movies and 30% for music.

Since the Denon has 10 channels I can bi-amp each speaker in my 5.1 setup to get 340watts per channel (170w X 2).

That would be "technically" more wattage to each speaker with the Denon over the Anthem P5 power amp.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dont get caught up in the hype or "status" of owning separates. When you are spending 6000 on any piece of audio equipment the law of diminishing returns has set in long ago. There are rarely any good pieces of equipment that literally blow away other good pieces of equipment. For instance the difference between a Mark Levinson system and a Parasound Halo is not night and day even though the price is. The Denon 5805 is essentially a preamp/amp built into one chassis. Go to audioholics for some measurements on the amplifier section. It DOUBLES its power into 4 ohms, making it a perfect voltage source. This is the sign of a well engineered amplifier. Even some so-called high end amplifier designs dont have a robust enough power supply to achieve this. I owned a Parasound Halo setup and sold it for a 5805. Without getting into detail I will say that I dont regret it. I have a Krell integrated in the bedroom when I need to feel "hi end" again. But realistically get some good advice from a local dealer, not "its better because it costs more". That excuse just doesnt pan out anymore.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteiser
I owned a Parasound Halo setup and sold it for a 5805.
matteiser,

Was it the Halo amp or the pre/pro that the Denon bettered? Or just the combination as a package? Enquiring minds want to know.

I've had my eye on Halo amps for potential upgrade, and just wanted your opinion on why u think the 5805 was better for u.

ss9001

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafgoose
Since the Denon has 10 channels I can bi-amp each speaker in my 5.1 setup to get 340watts per channel (170w X 2).
Im afraid it doesn't work that way. Just because a Honda can go 110mph with one engine doesn't mean it can go 210mph with two. A good 200wpc power amplifier may be a better fit than two channels of current limiting Denon power....

$0.02

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms
Im afraid it doesn't work that way. Just because a Honda can go 110mph with one engine doesn't mean it can go 210mph with two. A good 200wpc power amplifier may be a better fit than two channels of current limiting Denon power....

$0.02
I just read a thread about bi-wiring on receivers saying its useless because of the current limiting and in reality its just bi-wiring. Some people claim to hear a difference so I guess its worth using all 10ch anyways since they are there.

The difference between 170w-325w is roughly +3lb of headroom. Is that worth giving up all the features on the Denon?

Tough question.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My take? First of all, don't get all caught up in doubling the power. Since you are most likely doing passive bi-amping, you really don't get double the power because the full signal is being sent to each speaker twice, and the internal speaker cross-overs are doing their thing. Most likely 170 watts is plenty anyway. Or, if you get a seven channel amp, bi-amp the mains.

Next, if HT is more important than music, then I think the D1 is probably overkill for you. If you want high quality HT, I'd go for Anthem's AVM30 (pretty much identical feature wise) or better yet, an Outlaw 990 which will save you even more money. If you lean more towards music, I'd go for an Arcam AVP700 or Audio Refinement Pre-2DSP. They don't have as many bells and whistles, but their sound quality (especially two channel music) is superb for the price, besting many of the more expensive names like Anthem, Krell, Sunfire, Parasound, etc. For an external amp, there are plenty of options.

Chris

·
Registered
35 Posts
The sound quality between Parasound Halo and Denon AVR5805 is kind of a lateral move. However, the Denon has incredible flexibility. HDMI switching, Audyssey, Biamp ing mains and still have a second zone if need be. I love the Parasound product but they have been less than forthright with keeping us informed of upgrades. There is no reason to keep us all in the dark about this considering we spent 6000 on a processor. The Denon is not a current limiting amplifier. You are going to be limited to your wall outlet more than the amplifier. The new Halcro processor uses the same Titan platform hardware as the Halo equipment, so it would stand to reason that Halo tends to upgrade, but still no word. Maybe the CEDIA show.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteiser
The sound quality between Parasound Halo and Denon AVR5805 is kind of a lateral move. However, the Denon has incredible flexibility. HDMI switching, Audyssey, Biamp ing mains and still have a second zone if need be. I love the Parasound product but they have been less than forthright with keeping us informed of upgrades. There is no reason to keep us all in the dark about this considering we spent 6000 on a processor. The Denon is not a current limiting amplifier. You are going to be limited to your wall outlet more than the amplifier. The new Halcro processor uses the same Titan platform hardware as the Halo equipment, so it would stand to reason that Halo tends to upgrade, but still no word. Maybe the CEDIA show.
The only thing holding me back by going with separates (Anthem D1/P5) is the lack of upgrades. Receivers are getting all the latest and greatest features well before any separates implement them. But the upgradeability on the receiver is limited. The Denon 5805 has everything im looking for as far as features but how long will these features last before they are obsolete with HDMI 1.2 and Audissey v2 in the horizon.

The 5805 is rated at 170w /ch in Stereo mode but not all all 10 at the same time. With 5ch at the same time its rated at 121w/ch so the power is ALOT less than the Anthem P5.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 5805 is rated at full bandwith with all channels driven, however, you would need a dedicated 20A circuit to get this much power. With any amplifier design, with the exception of some of the newer ICE power type designs, efficiency is not nearly 100%, so to actually reproduce 170 x 10, or 325 x 5, you need a tremendous amount of current on tap.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Quote:
The Denon 5805 has everything im looking for as far as features but how long will these features last before they are obsolete with HDMI 1.2 and Audissey v2 in the horizon.

You may be interested in reading this http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20050823.asp .

Hdmi 1.2 has been released but Denon will likely offer firmware or hardware support. Add to that mix the new displayport technology standard that's still evolving but is rumoured to render hdmi obsolete. These rapidly changing developments argue for not basing purchase decisions on the state of HDMI technology. I recently bought a processor with hdmi 1.0 after discussion with several audio engineers led me to believe that 1.1 was obsolete. And now HDMI 1.3 is on the horizon in light of the forthcoming hd-dvd players this holiday season. So how long do you think hdmi 1.2 will be current. I think that sometimes we lose sight that the main emphasis should still be on sound quality and secondly relevant features and not the latest short-lived technology. I think the 5805 is the finest avr out there today and would be my first choice if I was buying an avr despite the recent changes. Besides your coaxial audio input or 8 preouts should be just fine in any event.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
For example:

Would the quality of sound be that much different between the Denon AVR-5805 receiver and the Anthem D1 pre/pro and P5 amp?

My uncle is fairly educated in home theaters and said to me "the line between receivers and separates is really blurring"

Would most of you agree with this statement?
Blurring, perhaps, for the same bux. Blurring, in the low to mid fi arena.

No way any receiver can stand up to a Theta CBIII with Bryston amps.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Agreed. The last feature that one should consider in buying high end audio gear is video capability, that is unless you plan to buy something new in a year regardless of how it is equipped now.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
deafgoose,

Are you serious about purchasing either the receiver, or separates? If so, find dealers locally who are willing to let you audition the receiver/separates in your own home with your own speakers and source components. And have a friend help you conduct some A/B listening tests and discover what your ears like.

It's worth the money/time to try before you buy.

- Steve O.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.