AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted the following paragraph comparing the D2 and Pioneer 59avi as a match for my Fujitsu P50 on the Plasma forum. No need to respond on general video pq comparison between these two units as that's been discussed a lot on this forum. But what about the sound of the D2, particularly from the stereo analog outputs? Is it half decent? And any specific info about these units compatibility with the P50 would be appreciated.

FYI, here's my Plasma forum post:

People on the DVD player forum like the 59avi over the D2 for some fairly obvious reasons such as more formats, better build quality. How comparable they are on digitally output video pq is a matter of debate. However, in the Sept issue of Stereophile Ultimate AV, there's a review touting the D2 as a very good, cheap match for the P50. In fact, the reviewer bought it.

The D2 can be had for less than $200 and the 59avi for less than $900.

My needs are fairly narrow. I don't care about other formats beside DVD right now and I'm running audio from the DVD player through a high end stereo system. I hesitate on the 59avi because I just sunk a lot of money in the plasma and audio system. Also, how close are we to HD DVD? Would the Bravo tide me over? And how good is the sound out of the stereo outputs from the Bravo? I wont compromise there. I've never been able to locate a review of the D2 sound. Is it half decent?

Appreciate any input on these two units and any other suggestions on a DVD player compatible with the P50.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one willing to share their experience re sound quality of the D2?

·
23,039 Posts
You may be the first to want to use anything other than coax (can't remember if it has it) or optical output. I'm curious why you want to "skimp" after just putting a lot of money into a P50 and audio system. A 59avi for less than $900 is well worth it. And speaking from personal experience, if you buy a Bravo now, there's a good chance you'll need to buy another player in 10 months or so. So a $900 player now will cost you $1100 in 10 months and you won't have had the satisfaction of using the $900 player for 10 months. :) If you are short on cash, checked the used market.

larry

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a D2 and am unimpressed w/ the audio quality. I'm slowly being molded into an audiophile (against my will and that of my wallet), and am planning to replace it soon, as it is now by far the weakest link in the chain. I got onto the D1/D2 merry-go-round as a short-term solution for an upconverting DVI player to use with my projector, and it's been great for that.

I'm now thinking of a player that offers DVI, SACD & DVD-A. I'm considering a Denon 3910 (said to be much better than the 2910 for audio). I am also considering waiting for the teased-but-unannounced Onix universal player. If it can match the 3910 at a better price, and/or offer a digital/1394 interconnect to my Emotiva DMC-1, I'll go thatta way.

Actually, right now I'm trying to be satisfied with what I have, but that's so hard! :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes. It's a Sony HS10.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Mat
My Bravo D1 just crapped out at 10 mo and I now am looking for the 59AVi.

The above comments are so true.
As did my Momitsu 880. And I now own a 59AVi. Ahh, the joy of a dependable dvd player......

htomei

·
Registered
950 Posts
rrtek-

I am considering getting the Bravo D2 for use with my HS10. I am tired of waiting for the Samsung 941. I used to display DVDs 1366x768 DVI via HTPC and loved the picture. Unfortunately, my HTPC keeps locking up and i cant get it to work. Have you had the opportunity to compare the PQ of the D2 with an HTPC or other upconverting player? Are you happy with the reliability of the unit? I think this might be good to tide me over til Blu-Ray comes out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.