AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got my 5040 about a week ago, and I have to say I absolutely love it! So far it's worked wonderfully, except for one thing. Whenever I watch it, there's a slight white noise in the background. Kind of a static sort of noise that's always there. It happens when I was something that's recorded and also when I'm just watching live TV. It's not something that's too much, just enough to be annoying. It isn't there when I watch TV without the Replay.

I thought that perhaps it was the connection from the RTV to the TV, so I copied a show over to my computer. Unfortunately, when I played back the recording on the computer, I got the same static. I just have my regular cable hooked up to the RTV through the cable jack, and then out to my TV through RCA cables. It's really a frustrating thing, since it's worked so well other than that!

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I've got a new 5040 and I have noticed the same thing, but just on one channel. It happens on both digital and composite outputs. I thought that maybe the digital output was enhancing any noise in the signal, I have a direct feed to my tv also and the noise is not there when I watch that channel using the tv's tuner. Strange that it is just one channel and not all of them. I quess you are hearing it on all channels? I did read somewhere here about a problem with noise in the 5040's tuner.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
This is the ONE thing that has bothered me more than anything else. My replay (5040>5160) is just about perfect except for this issue. I corresponded with ReplayLyndon on this, and chose not to do an RMA because I didn't want to risk the other problems some are experiencing.

AFAIK, the only fix is RMA, or possibly the new "Alcatraz" software update *may* help. Outside this, and external tuner; cable box, satellite box, would take care of it.

The bottom line is, the internal tuner in the Replay is a POS. (at least in the 5xxx series.) Of course that's my opinion, but I think others here would concur.

I'm still trying to find an alternative; I've asked about the possibility of soldering in a "better" tuner to replace the stock one, but either no one is interested; or nobody's tried it yet.

I may be the first 'guinea pig'; if I can find a better internal tuner to install.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Chain, AFAIK no one has found another tuner because none of us know of a tuner we can just swap...

I've got other tuners that work with other Teralogic chips, but I think those are Philips. I thought Philips was about the best, but that may just show how little I know about the tuners. I agree the samsung tuner has lots of problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it sounds like I'm not the only one. For what it's worth I hooked up my VCR to the RTV, and the sound came through crystal clear. Looks like I have two options:

1) RMA it. Problem here is that (so far after a week) everything else works perfectly.

2) Deal with it and use the VCR.

From what I've heard, chances are I'll get one that works worse if I go with the RMA, so I might just set it up with the VCR tonight and see how well it works.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Woodshop,

I couldn't have said it better. The VCR was how I discovered the problem too. I even considered using it as the tuner until it was pointed out that there was no way the Replay could control it.:eek:

I'm having a friend get me a cable box too use for now; I hate the idea of using the IR blaster, but it's that or put up with the POS Replay tuner.

Jeff, I'm going to be looking into the tuner issue with my 'tech geek' friend. I talked to him about it the other day, and he said he's replaced dozens of tuners in Tv's, VCR's etc. So I'm holding out hope that something can be found.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It probably is the tuner. I have a cable box, and that causes no problem.

Recording directly off the air with the internal tuner gives me the same problem. It may have to do with signal strength. Try adding a booster to the RF front end, see what happens there.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by billsincl
It probably is the tuner. I have a cable box, and that causes no problem.

Recording directly off the air with the internal tuner gives me the same problem. It may have to do with signal strength. Try adding a booster to the RF front end, see what happens there.
Already have a booster with FM trap, still doesn't help with the Replay tuner issues; but if works GREAT for every other tuner in the house.:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.