Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I have a 4K one and previous version.
Marginal in what way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because they convert the digital audio streams to 48kHz, noticable audio artifacts especially high frequencies. If one has high resolution, quality loudspeakers the negative aritifacts are very audible..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because they convert the digital audio streams to 48kHz, noticable audio artifacts especially high frequencies. If one has high resolution, quality loudspeakers the negative aritifacts are very audible..

Just my $0.02... ;)
So how can I tell if the newer ATv's don't downgrade?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I'm a bit curious about the 'noticeable' artifacts as well. I have a lot of music on a Mac-mini and
I stream from the computer to the Apple TV. I don't use iPad or iPhone to stream to the AppleTV.
I don't have the 4K model(newest) I own the previous 2 versions.

Any links to articles offering more detail would be appreciated.

I use the feature for casual listening only, never anything super critical.

I've got a pair of Harmon Kardon DMC-1000's and a Yamaha CDR-HD1500
Which are hard drive based music servers with my complete CD collection
In lossless format for my critical listening.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I'm a bit curious about the 'noticeable' artifacts as well. I have a lot of music on a Mac-mini and
I stream from the computer to the Apple TV. I don't use iPad or iPhone to stream to the AppleTV.
I don't have the 4K model(newest) I own the previous 2 versions.

Any links to articles offering more detail would be appreciated.

I use the feature for casual listening only, never anything super critical.
The artifacts (mostly high frequencies) are very audible when using high resolution loudspeakers. Especially with a female vocalist such Jennifer Warnes, Amanda McBroom..

I've got a pair of Harmon Kardon DMC-1000's and a Yamaha CDR-HD1500
Which are hard drive based music servers with my complete CD collection
In lossless format for my critical listening.
Hmm..
(2) DMC-1000s, we supported Harman for about 12 months on this project, unfortunately it actually shipped 15 months late or else it would have been a grand slam homer product if it shipped on-time. Harman's 1st attempt of designing/building a high-end music server, and the in-house product team based in California was constantly changing features & specs...

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
... mp3 generation.

If you have had nothing but pizza hut you'd have no idea what good pizza was until you actually had good pizza.

there is nothing Audiophile about apple.

your best bet is to circumvent the apple tv thing all together and input directly into your receiver via the mini stereo out (3.5mm) to rca.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Hmm..
(2) DMC-1000s, we supported Harman for about 12 months on this project, unfortunately it actually shipped 15 months late or else it would have been a grand slam homer product if it shipped on-time. Harman's 1st attempt of designing/building a high-end music server, and the in-house product team based in California was constantly changing features & specs...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Yeah the DMC's are really nice...originally very pricey. ($3K)..I snagged mine when HK closed them
Out for $400. Great sounding unit with a nice feature set.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
... mp3 generation.

If you have had nothing but pizza hut you'd have no idea what good pizza was until you actually had good pizza.

there is nothing Audiophile about apple.

your best bet is to circumvent the apple tv thing all together and input directly into your receiver via the mini stereo out (3.5mm) to rca.
I'm Not even close to being part of the MP3 generation. Like I said just convienence thing for casual
Listening. Everything I ripped to the Mac-Mini was done with that 'ALAC' codec which is supposed to be
Apple's version of lossless. It's supposed to be better;) than MP3.

Years ago I was actually a fan of the Sony software (Sonic Stage) and their ATRAC codec.
It was miles ahead of MP3. I've still got 4 mini-disc player/recorders that still work.
Sadly all have been retired except the 6-disc changer in my 25 year old Trans-Am.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I do Apple Music hdmi into the Denon 7200 .i feel its better quality vs AirPlay

Reactions: MeanMachine

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm Not even close to being part of the MP3 generation. Like I said just convienence thing for casual
Listening. Everything I ripped to the Mac-Mini was done with that 'ALAC' codec which is supposed to be
Apple's version of lossless. It's supposed to be better;) than MP3.

Years ago I was actually a fan of the Sony software (Sonic Stage) and their ATRAC codec.
It was miles ahead of MP3. I've still got 4 mini-disc player/recorders that still work.
Sadly all have been retired except the 6-disc changer in my 25 year old Trans-Am.

i was replying to the OP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts