AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the sound quality differ when recording Standard compared to High?

I tried to record one of the digital cable music channels on my RPTV 5060, downloaded to my pc with DVArchive, then stripped the sound from the video, saving it as an mp3, then burned it to a CD. The quality was not very good. I recorded it in Standard mode, thinking it wouldn't matter. Does it?

I'm not sure what part of the process caused the loss of quality. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Recording quality affects sound about the same as video. I'm don't recall the numbers exactly, but I believe standard quality is very low while medium is very close to DVD or CD quality while high is actually better than both. Although, I might be thinking of picture quality there. However, I do know the recording quality affects the sound which is quite silly since the sound is only takes a minute amount of the space compared to the video.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Uh... I recently asked these questions since upgrading from a showstopper to a 5060 and not only have I noticed it, but I have been told that the sound quality is now UNAFFECTED by record quality.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
5xxx series Replays record in the same audio quality regardless of the setting you choose.

What bit rate did you use for your mp3 conversion? Too much compression will have a negative affect on sound quality. Increase the bit rate for your mp3, or better yet use a more efficient codec such as ogg vorbis or wma. I've been using the FLAC codec lately, and it sounds really good. Of course the equipment your playing it on has to support the codec you choose.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I'll back up chain... not really any difference, but there may be, I can't remember the bitrates may be slightly different. The 3k line the sample rates were different and that was a HUGE difference. On the 5k line the encoding bit rates may be different, but I think they are always 192kbps.

Now did you listen to the demuxed audio stream on your PC? That would tell you exactly what was going on. =)

I suspect it's your encoding from .mp2 (mpeg-1 layerII) to mp3 (mpeg-1 layer III) that's getting you screwed up. Your encoding bitrate would be where I'd look first. The other thing when you burn to a CD is the format of the file on the CD a PCM file or a MP3 file? Some programs like nero convert mp3s to WAV (PCM) before burning on a CD as that's the native CD format and that will allow the disc to play on any CD player, if the files were burnt as mp3s only CD players which support MP3 could play them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.