Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've spent a hundred hours so far researching on this forum and gave gotten many, many ideas but some things i just can't put together or have way too much information. My computer at present has a Soyo Dragon MB and ATI AIW 8500DV. As some of you already realized i can't record TV with this combination and get decent audio. The most obvious solution at present seems to be M-Audio Revolution, However, most of my programming comes from Dish network. My current reciever doesn't have a DD output but my next one will. So i'll need an Spdif input, or will I? It doesn't seem like it's possible to record that real time right now, or is it? and do I even really need a digital out? I want to play DVD's with this and get DTS and DD, but I heard it would be better to use the regular speaker outputs to the seperate 7.1 inputs on my Pioneer stereo. That would save a lot of jumping into the mixer to switch betweeen outputs for tv and DVD. I just don't want to spend money for a soundcard that works fine now if I can spend a little more for one that will work now and better later like maybe the Delta 410.

Thanks for your insight.

Brian

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well, I had an 8500DV and I can tell you, it was tough trying to get it to work with my AP2496 card. It would probably not work with the 410, and I have heard that it doesn't work well with the Revo, but driver updates may fix that. You should be able to get it to work with the onboard audio of your motherboard. Best solution may be to use the onboard audio for the 8500 and then get a separate sound card for DVD/MP3 etc. Hook both sound cards to your receiver and switch between the two.

Can't help you with the DD input. Sorry.

As far as using digital out vs. analog, it depends on how good the DACs are on your receiver. Of course, to output 5.1 or 6.1 analog, you will need a software DVD player that can decode DD and DTS. That limits your choice of software, whereas all players can output the DD and DTS stream thru the digital out into your receiver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.