Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help - I am very very confused

okay I'm finally getting this DVD thing sussed. Picture I am wasting my time paying for an Arcam DV27...best best DVD picture is

Philips Q50

Panasonic RP91

Pioneer 737/ 37

But I'm in HK so need to make sure that they are

1. Progressive PAL and Progressive NTSC (we have both types of discs here.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SOUND?????

No-one talks about the sound - am I missing something???

I have Onkyo 989, good set of spkrs on the way and a hi end CD player.....but are the best picture DVD players above going to give me the sound I need.

Please advise

·
Registered
183 Posts
you need the skyworth. period.

as far as sound goes.... digital is digital....

one bitstream is the same as another bitstream...

the reciever is what gives you sound.

Harlan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"as far as sound goes.... digital is digital.... one bitstream is the same as another bitstream... the reciever is what gives you sound"

Please excuse my ignorance - but is that true?

If music CD players vary so much in sound, then why not DVD players????? - what am i missing?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sk123
if music CD players vary so much in sound, then why not DVD players????? - what am i missing?
If you use the digital out from two players that are not broken or very badly designed and run that signal to the same D/A decoder (perhaps inside your receiver), then the sound should be in fact the same.

Jitter could in theory cause some additional noise to the sound, but in most of the current dvd players it is so low as to be probably well below hearing treshold (only one credible test about audibility of jitter artifacts exists AFAIK).

BUT

and this is a BIG but, if you are serious about audio quality.

If you want great sound out of your CDs, then you probably wouldn't use a possibly mediocre D/A stage on your receiver.

You'd consider buying a DVD player that has good D/A conversion and feed that analog signal to your amp.

Here is where you'll start to hear the differences in dvd players cd-audio performance if at all.

In this test I'd recon FMJ DV-27 would do pretty well.

Then again if you have a high quality external, jitter free DAC to which you feed your dvd's digital audio output, then this is a moot point.

Cheers,

Hal

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok..maybe I am getting somewhere.....

so if I had a low priced DVD player and a high priced CD player...could I take advantage of the DAC in the CD player for my DVD player?

i.e. could I feed the DVDs digital audio output into the CD player..and then onto the receiver/amp?

·
Registered
43 Posts
DAC stands for digital to analog converter if your not using a optical or coaxial cable to your receiver, your not going to get digital sound okay. I use dolby pro-logic surround in analog. I also have a DAC to convert the digital signal into analog pcm, I don't have a receiver.

I don't care for higher DD5.1 or DTS, I live in a apartment to get a good sound you have to raise the volume. Using high volume will get you kicked out of your apartment. This a Home theatre forum, I don't have a house I just like to know about things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.